Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
Which speakers are better, the ones that come built-in on the '09 24" iMac or Logitech X230?

I'm not sure what the iMac's speaker stats are, but here are the stats for x230's:

# Total RMS power: 32 W RMS
Satellites: 12 W RMS (6 W x 2)
Subwoofer: 20 W RMS
# Total peak power: 64 W
# Frequency response: 40Hz - 20kHz
# Drivers:
Satellites: (2) 2" drivers per satellite
Subwoofer: 5.25" ported driver
# Speaker dimensions (H x W x D, cm):
Satellites: 20.3 X 6.4 X 7.6
Subwoofer: 22.9 x 15.2 x23.5
# Signal-to-noise ratio: >96dB

Reason I ask is that I have the x230's and they're considered as cheap speakers, so I don't know if I should use them with the iMac or not. The one advantage I see them having over the iMac's is that they have a 20w subwoofer, but I don't know if the satellites are better or not.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
didn't get the imac yet. fedex was supposed to deliver it yesterday, but for some reason i have not heard anything from them, and they removed the estimated delivery date (and assigned delivery date) from fedex site and their phone line.

i'm just wondering if imac speakers are as capable as the speakers i have now. there's not much info provided on them at the apple's imac site, and they probably don't have a subwoofer.

erasr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
I got rid of my external speakers when my iMac arrived, just so my desk would look good, clutter free! But, the speakers in the iMac are pretty average. They don't sound anywhere near as good as what I had, I'm going to be buying some new sexy looking ones soon.

MacAndy74

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2009
Australia
The built-in speakers on the iMac are really very good, perhaps not to an audio-phile but for every day usage and iTunes / Podcast playback; they are fine. I think, much better than cheap ~$50 set of external speakers anyway.

aki

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2004
Japan
this is all only my own idea so other people might think different but....

i was first disappointed with teh new imac speakers because i always found the speakers in the imac g3 bubble to be really good, strong and clear even for music.... and new g5 and then intel imac sound was to me anyway clearly more tinny and desktop-pc-style audio

this isnt saying they are bad or desktop-pc-style audio....it just was a change from what i expected from an "imac"

eventually i got some bose external speakers....i no what people say about bose but these were actually a good price and and ok sound

and yes no question much much much much better especially of course with the deep sounds

it really depends what you want to do on your imac

trose

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2002
My old (Used them with an iMac DV originally) desktop Altec Lansings still produce better sound than I hear from nearly all the "standard" desktop speakers these days. And they were only $89.

It's the subwoofer, I think. Everything just sounds too shallow and weak to me without a subwoofer, especially music and games.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.