Built In Step Tracker?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by The JTizzle, Sep 23, 2014.

1. The JTizzle macrumors 6502

The JTizzle

Just watched The Verge review of iOS and the guy mentioned there was a built in step tracker in iOS 8. Was he wrong or am I just not seeing it?

2. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

It's the health app. I think you need a 5S or newer to take advantage of it but I could be wrong on that. If so, someone will be along to correct me soon :D

3. The JTizzle thread starter macrumors 6502

The JTizzle

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Put it on the Dashboard.

5. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

The M7 and M8 chips collect the step data by default and store it for about a week before purging. You just need an app to collect and display that data. With iOS 7, there were already several step tracking apps that pull the data from the M7/M8 chip, and iOS 8 simply adds a built-in step tracker with the new Health function.

Older iPhones could also track step counts using GPS, with several apps still available. The M7 and M8 are discrete motion tracking chips that allow you to track steps with less battery drain.

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Have you looked at your iPhone?:eek:

[​IMG]

7. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

Yep. Haven't dug too far into the Health app, since much of the functionality won't go active until Apple fixes HealthKit.

I've been using the M7 Pedometer Steps app for about a year, and will stick with it for the time being simply because it's more readable without having to squint my eyes while I'm on the move. Plus, it already has a year of step data stored.