Built-in vs. Plugged-in

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iAmRod, Mar 18, 2011.

1. iAmRod macrumors member

Hello fellow enthusiasts..

I have a question. Is it possible to tell my iMac (the late 2009, 21.5" model) to use the built-in speakers *without* having to physically unplug my headphones?

Sometimes I just want to listen to my music, podcasts, etc.. and NOT be tethered to my iMac to do it.

Thanks for any suggestions!
    Rod

2. iAmRod thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick response, GGJstudios.

It would appear one cannot tell the iMac to send its sound output to the built-in speakers while still having headphones plugged in. I'm not looking to send to both simultaneously, I'm just not wanting to *have* to reach around the back of the iMac to unplug the headphone cord to be able to listen to audio on the built-in iMac speakers.

I'm really surprised this is not possible. The way SoundSource was described I thought that would be the perfect solution, but after installation I am not given the choice of internal speakers from the drop-down menu. If I unplug the headphone cord the drop-down menu does change to "Internal Speakers", but that's just silly as I've already made my choice by physically unplugging the headphones.

Very wonky, unless there's something I'm still missing.

Thanks for the information and the "MRoogle" link. Did not know that existed.