Built-in Weather App a bit dodgy

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Lukas Prime, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Lukas Prime macrumors newbie

This has probably been mentioned before - but I haven't found it.

The iphone weather app never seems to be consistent with the weather widget on the Leopard dashboard. So maybe they're pulling info from two different sources? Fair enough - probably better to average the two anyway.

But my biggest problem is that, because I live in New Zealand (so this probably applies to anyone on our side of the date line), today's weather is shown large at the top but the next day down has today's name. Eg if today is Thursday, then it'll show today's weather at the top, then show Thursday underneath, then Friday etc. So all the days under the top one are labeled one day out. Likely due to the fact that it IS Thursday in the US when it is actually Friday here. So you have to mentally add one day to the days shown to forecast the weather... I can't believe the iphone has been out this long and it's never been addressed...

Anyone else on this side of the world noticed this?

2. DanielJvdBerg macrumors regular

My weather app works perfect although I haven't have anything to compare for say a mac. I'm in the Netherlands though maybe that's why it works oke.
    Good day!

3. whitebook macrumors regular

been having the exact same problem from i got my iphone nearly a year ago. always noticed it never really thought much of it.

4. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

The weather on the Mac comes from Accuweather.com
    The weather on the iPhone comes from Yahoo Weather.

The question should be why did Apple choose to go with two different providers for similar widgets, and similar operation of widgets.

5. Lukas Prime thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the explanation.

The issue with the misnamed days is really what annoys me though. Is there somewhere I can report this to apple? I had a look on their support site but couldn't find a bug report area for the iphone...

6. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

It's not a bug, just it's getting weather info from 2 different places.

7. sahnert macrumors 6502

I don't think the days are misnamed. The top is the current (actual) conditions, while the same day's forecasted conditions are listed below. I live in the US and it is Thursday. Right below the current conditions in large numbers it lists "Thursday" and gives the forecasted conditions for the day. This is useful because if you check the weather in the morning, for example, the number at the top will not necessarily be an accurate description of the rest of the day.

8. Lukas Prime thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, right! Well that makes sense.... thanks for clearing that up :)

9. Acronym macrumors 68000

I too dont like the built in weather app on the app store i found a great app called Weather Eye its from www.theweathernetwork.com they have always been quite accurate with there weather.....not to mention its free i use it all the time for my weather updates.

hope that helps you

10. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

FizzWeather is the best. Check other threads on the weather and you'll find other testimonies.