buletooth in iPhone.

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by jaljupp, Feb 1, 2010.

1. jaljupp macrumors newbie

jaljupp

hi ..

could we transfer data form iphone to other mobile or bluetooth device by bluetooth ?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The generic answer is no.

In the specific case that the other device is known in advance, has participated in the "Made for iPhone" program then possibly. You can then communicate using the External Accessory Framework.

You should read this section (well actually you should read the whole document) of the iPhone Application Programming Guide

3. Bl0ckHe1d macrumors 6502

Bl0ckHe1d

officially no...

unofficially yes can be achieve by jailbreaking your iphone and purchasing ibluetooth!

4. chhoda macrumors 6502

cant I read data from a bluetooth server hosted by a windows machine via bluetooth ? If no, whats the use of saying it a bluetooth library then ? is gamekit api only for pairing between iPhones ? cant it be used for data / byte transfer between devices ? Cant an iPhone establish a bluetooth pairing between a windows mobile device ? I enabled bluetooth on my iPhone but it could not find my windows mobile even though its bluetooth was enabled !

-CH

5. chhoda macrumors 6502

is there any driver which when installed on a xp machine makes its bluetooth pairable with iPhone and transfer data ?

--CH

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No.

7. chhoda macrumors 6502

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No. The Bluetooth stack on an iPhone does not present the profiles required for generic data interchange.

If you reverse engineered (and you're on your own if you want to do this) the GameKit protocol you might be able to implement a computer-side server that looks like a GameKit client and write an app on the iPhone that could talk to it.

9. chhoda macrumors 6502

Again, will apple approve my application assuming I am able to do this ? and what about iPod touch ?

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Probably, although the only way to be sure is to ask them. What about the iPod Touch? This is your application/idea not mine. I assume that you've thought it through, decided on your market and worked out if there are issues with the hardware in advance.

11. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

An iPhone/iPod Touch app cannot communicate with another BT device unless it has gone through the "Made For iPod/Works With iPhone" certification program. An iPhone to an iPod Touch, other iPhone, or iPad is ok, but other random phones or computers, no, it won't work.

Your only hope is to jailbreak if you need this type of interaction.

12. chhoda macrumors 6502

i meant if ipod touch can do a bluetooth data transfer in laptop/macbook ! ok got the answer, never mind

13. chhoda macrumors 6502

is there any third party or apple made "made for iPhone" bluetooth dongle available for mac or xp which can be used to transfer data from a laptop ?

--CH

14. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No. The Made For iPhone program is really aimed at specific, targeted accessories. You'd be far better forgetting about Bluetooth.

15. chhoda macrumors 6502

what about this

did this manufacturer purchased "made for iPhone" license and built this hardware ?

--CH

16. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

17. chhoda macrumors 6502

does that mean, if I am enrolled for "works with iPhone" program, still I wont be able to sell the hardware I make ?

--CH

18. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I don't see where anything anyone has said indicates that at all.

19. chhoda macrumors 6502

no, when I try to apply for "Works with iPhone" it asks me for my company's tax details and legal counseller's details, which I am not accessible to. And if that is meant for hardware manufacturing and selling, how in the world there is not a bluetooth dongle has been made by some manufacturer which can transfer data from PC using gamekit !

--CH

20. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

You will, as long as Apple agrees that hardware passes the qualifications that are part of its Works with iPhone Program.

21. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Because Apple have no interest in making this happen and, if anything, seem to be against open Bluetooth use on the iPhone so will not license such a device. I have no idea why you are so insistent on making whatever it is work with Bluetooth but you are really going to struggle to get this working. You would be much better listening to my advice and spending your effort reverse engineering the GameKit protocol and then implementing the software required to appear to be a GameKit client.

22. chhoda macrumors 6502

even I will struggle reverse engineering gamekit protocol too :D unless there is some library someone has made :(

I might just program applications, not much into protocols and stuff.

--CH

23. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I suggest you give up on whatever it is you are trying to do and target something achievable...

24. chhoda macrumors 6502

is there a possibility that I can put my data in iTunes and sync it to iPhone and read it in my app ?

may be in the guise of a music file ?

25. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Not as a music file: someone might play it. Check out the API for file syncing in 3.2/4.0. It's all in the documentation.