Bulge on Back of iPhone 5s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jakubp12, Jan 30, 2014.

1. jakubp12 macrumors newbie

So... my 5s has been in a case since I got it, and I took the case off to change to a different one, and noticed my phone has a slight circular bulge on the back. It is on the left side right about down the middle of the phone beneath the camera flash. I figured it was a scratch, but it is pertrudes out on the metal body, not into the body.

I thought I was crazy running my finger over it and feeling a slight bulge, but when I placed the phone down on my desk without a case, sure enough it isnt flush. It wobbles slightly when pressed on the right side of the phone (furthest from the bulge).

Honestly, the physical imperfection doesnt bother me, but could this be the battery bulging or something like that? I dont want the battery exploding on me or anything lol.

The phone is only about 2 months old since my previous phone was replaced for signal dropping issues.

I would take it to the apple store, but I dont want them to look at me like Im crazy obsessing over a tiny bulge.

2. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Some iPhone 5s are like this maybe even all of them I read about something like this the other day so I put my friends 5s on a table pressed on it and yep it it's not completely flat.

3. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

4. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

I would have that looked at, it couldn't hurt. If it is a bulging battery that is defiantly not good.

----------

Thats garbage if it's bulging and uneven it's not normal.

5. jakubp12, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014

jakubp12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cant take a picture as I dont have another camera apart from the phone, and like I said, it is barely noticeable. I wouldnt have noticed it, but my phone was getting really hot the last couple of days, so I took the case off and I felt it as soon as I took it out of the case. I know it didnt have this when I first took it out of the box, because I checked all around the phone for anything as soon as I took it out.

When putting it under a light, I can see the faint outline of a circle at the spot of the bulge.

edit:

Here is an attempt to capture a picture. Within the black outline I made you can faintly make out the bottom of the circle. If i look at it a different angles, I can see that it is a perfect circle.

[​IMG]

6. Jstuts5797 macrumors 6502a

Someone suggested all 5s's have this. That is incorrect. Mine is FOR SURE flat and lays flush on a table without a case. To the OP if you have an apple store nearby I would take it in just to see what they say even though it still works. I'm kinda with you, I'd be afraid the battery would explode or something.

7. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

likewise. I just looked at mine and it 100% does not have that bulge.

8. cynics macrumors G3

Anyone know what's in that area? Could the phone been squeezed really hard and something inside the phone there left a dent (from the inside)?

9. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

My initial thought was maybe the battery swelling?

10. jakubp12 thread starter macrumors newbie

That is my concern as well. The phone does get uncomfortably hot when just surfing the internet near the bump after about 5-10 minutes and the battery drains very quickly. I unplug it at like 630 and by 4 with about 4 hours usage it is at like 25%, sometimes lower. It did not got hot like this before. It only started about last week.

Apperently the battery is on the other side though so I'm not see.
    And there's no way the phone could be squeezed to cause a circular bump like that. Apart from the bulge/bump, there are no other marks on the phone.

11. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Take it to the Apple Store. It's an obvious issue and they will help you out.

12. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

that's definately not "bulging" of the battery. it's too small of an area for a battery bulge. if it was the battery, then it wouldn't been a wider less spikey area. this one is so focused in that area, i would think there's a loose screw in there or something causing the poking.

13. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

14. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I'd stop using it (turn it off) and get to the Apple Store pronto. If you can't get a Genius appointment today just go and don't leave without seeing someone. They need to demonstrate to you that it's not a hazard.

You don't want to mess around with anything battery related. No matter what it turns out to be, the symptoms you describe are enough to warrant immediate action.

15. jakubp12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Took it to the apple store today and they opened it up. They said everything looks fine on the inside and gave no explanation for the bump coming out of the metal body and gave me the phone back.

I dont care about the mark, but am a little irritated that they gave no explanation for how it became raised at that spot. Oh well.

As for it becoming uncomfortable to hold after 5 minutes of use due to it heating up, they said thats how the phones are made... funny, my previous 5s didnt have that issue. Funny enough, the place where it heats up the most is right by the bump.

16. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

I'd take it back again and see someone else. Tell them you don't want the bulge in your phone even if it is harmless. If they take the back off I'm sure you will be able to figure out where, or what caused it. And I would make sure you are able to take a look at the inside when they take the cover off. Very weird mark for sure!

17. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Seems to be B.S. The person has other devices with cameras.

Show a high resolution photo.
    Show it at an angle.

18. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

They can't take the back off, its a 5S. They would have to disassemble the entire phone to see what happened inside, something the Geniuses can't do. What they mean by opening the iPhone is taking out the 2 scews on the bottom and taking the screen off.

Go back in and see someone else or try going to another Apple Store. If both those fail, call AppleCare because this is not normal.

19. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I'd challenge them to reproduce the heat in the store side by side with yours. As you know this isn't normal. My phone has become warm in the car using navigation and Bluetooth, but not surfing.

If you haven't seen this thread already, a girl had her phone in her jeans pocket when she sat down. The battery was damaged and the phone caught fire.

20. Jstuts5797 macrumors 6502a

I agree with everyone else. I'd take it back again to a different genius then call AppleCare if still not satisfied. Everything in me says something is wrong, even if it isn't battery related. I know personally you don't care about the spot (and I commend you for not going over board on a simple visual defect), but in this case I would tell that you do care about the looks of the spot. Whoever suggested doing a side by side reproduction of the heat problem - that's a FANTASTIC idea! Also mention your batter loosing it's charge so fast. Did they also tell you that was normal? I can tell you on my 5s it only gets warm when doing really intensive stuff or when it's at a certain place in the charge cycle after being nearly completely drained. And although I'd describe it as warm, or even hot, I wouldn't say it was uncomfortable at all. If yours is I would think there is an issue there. Good luck and keep us posted! I'm curious to the outcome.

21. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Heat is not causing the aluminum to distort. If it got hot enough to do so, your hand would have 3rd degree burns and the internals would melt.

22. Infinitewisdom macrumors 6502

I'm actually surprised the Apple store didn't replace it for you right away. It's clearly still under warranty. I'd take it back again as others have suggested and get another look.

23. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

See here. Looks like a mounting boss.

http://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/BpOlbBi4CucgiE5H.huge

Something that might make a mark if the phone was squeezed too hard.