bulging case and apple repair

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by darkwing, Jun 27, 2008.

1. darkwing macrumors 65816

I have the latch bulge on my c2d MBP 17" as shown in this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=418277

I was told by apple that this would be covered even if I didn't have Applecare, which I do. I sent it off and got it repaired, but it came back with a wiped hard drive and a broken battery. They are sending me the new battery, but they won't do anything about the fact they wiped my drive. They included a generic piece of paper saying some issue was found that required a reinstall, however there were no issues and I only authorized them to fix the broken case. I had my important stuff backed up, but not my unimportant stuff so that'll take some time to fix. I'll probably file a case in small claims court here (since they do business in my state) and see if I can get something for my time.

I wouldn't care so much, except that I didn't authorize them to inspect anything relating to software. They had no business doing it. The worst part is they can't even tell me why they had to do it. If only they could work out their design flaws (after 5 years of this case, you'd think they could) then it wouldn't be a problem.

This is going to be my last Apple product. I've been thinking of switching back to Linux for some time now, and there's no reason for me to pay a premium on Apple's hardware without their OS. Perhaps I will change my mind.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't think you'll get anything out from them; 100% of repairs done by OEMs they are allowed to wipe your drive. If you say they can't, they can refuse to fix it.

3. darkwing thread starter macrumors 65816

I wound up filing a complaint with the BBB and we'll see if anything happens out of it. Going the unauthorized repair route. *shrug*

The worst part of all this is after me almost convincing a couple people at work to buy a Mac they won't do it now. Also, when I sent my Rev A 17" PB back for repair (missing keyboard key) they didn't wipe the drive.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Dude, don't do complaints with the BBB; it's like seeking an attorney and filing a lawsuit; not a good way to approach it... but I guess if it works it works...

Yeah I had problems convincing people when my computer warped as well.

5. darkwing thread starter macrumors 65816

The BBB can't help anyway, as the only thing I'm asking for is my time back per the cheapest rate I charge clients. Apparently they don't do that. It's my fault in a way for not backing up the whole drive, but I didn't really have a lot of time to prepare the whole thing. I'm also upset that they sent me to the apple store telling me they could fix it, and they couldn't (of course.)

Anyway, the reason they won't do business with Apple is the fact that they won't take any responsibility for wiping a drive when the computer was sent in for cosmetic reasons.

Anyway, I don't think it'll wind up being that big of a deal but I sure am upset that they can't even tell me why they did that.

I also have to reformat and re-install Leopard again because they didn't format the drive case sensitive.

6. Jestered macrumors 6502

It sounds like you are being pretty petty to me. And no, you won't get anything out of a frivolous lawsuit.

When you send in a computer to Apple, they test the entire computer, not just what you sent it in for. If they find anything else wrong, they will fix it at the same time. This is a good thing in my eyes. If they found some errors on your drive that could only be fixed with an erase and restore, so be it.

7. James17 macrumors 6502

I can understand your anger definitely but I am almost positive you won't get anywhere with your small claim, any sensible company trying to avoid this situation would have a clause in their support policy stating they will do whatever is necessary to repair the computer and are not liable for any lost data. All that is evident is Apple had a qualified person stating there was an issue with the software so they wiped it which looks like the right course of action and you can't prove there wasn't a problem with the software just because you sent it away with no software problems, they could have arisen after diagnostic techniques etc. I would be angry in your situation but there's nothing you can do, if you are that angry you want to switch then you do what you feel is necessary- no one will tell you any different. Dead end I'm afraid.

8. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

This may have been the issue. Apple runs their own internal diagnostic programs and this may have interfered with their tests.

Why would you even want to format the drive "Case Sensitive"?

9. darkwing thread starter macrumors 65816

You may be right. However, I only sent it in for a cosmetic fix which required them doing nothing other than changing a part on the chassis. If I had sent it in for something that required software tests, then I wouldn't be so upset. The simple fact that I told them directly it was working fine and just wanted the case fixed means they had no business running other tests. The paperwork that they sent me specified I was having a cosmetic repair only. Anything else was unauthorized.

Formatting case sensitive has been an option when installing OSX from scratch since Panther. A lot of open source software has scripts which depend on case sensitive filesystems, so that's why I use them. Coming from Linux, it is what I'm used to as well. I've actually never had an issue with it except for when running Starcraft, and I simply installed that on a case insensitive image.

10. James17 macrumors 6502

I can see how angry you are but you have to understand that you are not in a position to unauthorize Apple to check the software on your computer even if it was a hardware issue, they will most probably say this is routine and done to make sure the "whole" (SW+HW) computer is in good working order which in most people's minds is acceptable. The moment you send it to them for repair, you are literally agreeing for the whole machine to be thoroughly tested even if it is a cosmetic issue they will check and fix anything they can find, that can be seen as good support but in this instance it has resulted in you losing data which is unfortunate.

11. souldawg macrumors member

This may have changed but two years ago I took my iBook with a failing drive into the Apple Store. They ran multiple tests and found a few other things wrong and had to ship it back for repairs. I had to sign that acknowledged they could fix any other problems they found as they do a complete diagnostic per standard procedure. However, the nice thing about doing it through the store is I was given the option to back up my data (for a fee) on the store's systems which I chose to do.

Read the fine print on the warranty and all the information. I'm pretty certain it is standard procedure for them to do a complete diagnostic and by agreeing for one repair, you agree for multiple. A good policy in my eyes.

12. darkwing thread starter macrumors 65816

Are you suggesting that people shouldn't be allowed to take responsibility for their own computer? I needed something done I couldn't do myself, and it was their design flaw anyway.

Souldawg,

I read over the Applecare terms and conditions and it doesn't specify that I agree to let Apple do anything they want to my machine. It also doesn't specify that they will only perform authorized repairs, however. However, this wasn't really a warranty thing as it was (according to the Apple employee I spoke with when filing the case with them) a recall. I was never given an opportunity to sign anything regarding this.

I have the computer pretty much back to where it was. The real lessoned learned here is to back up EVERYTHING and not just "important" things.

13. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

That probably won't get you anywhere, unfortunately.

I used to work in the repair business and in just about every case where a major hardware repair needs to be performed, it's pretty standard for the repair facility to restore the machine to factory specifications, which means wiping out everything. It's very difficult to guarantee full, fail-safe operation after a repair otherwise.

While I would agree that you should have be informed of this by Apple, your important data should ALWAYS be backed up prior to sending the machine off, if possible.

Most warranties explicitly state that personal data (i.e. anything installed on the machine) isn't an item that is covered. I highly doubt that AppleCare is any different.

14. James17 macrumors 6502

What responsibility? They fixed your machine and fixed some other things they found which they were correct to do so. If it came back and it had software problems you might be on here complaining about that too. It is your responsibility to backup your machine before sending it away, hardware issue or not. If you don't agree with me which I sense you don't, I think you should take legal advice about a lawsuit etc but I bet you won't get very far. I've already said this a few times but I do understand your anger and can see the tension in some of your posts.

15. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

they fixed a problem that they found on your machine. U should be happy that they were so thorough, otherwise u would have had another problem in the near future. It is pretty much common sense that u need to back up your computer fully before u send it in, regardless of what they are doing to your machine. Everyone on this board and others like it would have advised the same advise.

I'm really perplexed as to what u think small claims court is going to do for u in this circumstance. Pay u the hourly rate that u charge your clients at work for the time that it takes u to reinstall your own software?

And with regards to dumping apple: your perogarive of course, but what other system(sw&hw) matches up to the one that u have now? Read reviews of the various systems around the net and u will see that not many do.

16. darkwing thread starter macrumors 65816

James, yes I agree I should back up my machine before I send it off. I also, as I stated, had about 80% of my stuff backed up. It isn't a problem. The problem is that they wiped my drive for no reason and if they had just repaired the case (which is their own fault, anyway) then there'd be no problem. I read over the AppleCare provisions, and data isn't covered as part of the warranty (say if the hard drive crashes) but it doesn't say anything about what they did. If you really believe Apple bears no responsibility for wiping my drive for a cosmetic repair, then I don't know what to tell you. I hope your kool-aid is at least cherry flavored. :)

docal, I'm not happy they did anything to my machine other than what I told them to do. And if there was a serious problem (which there was not, btw) they should have called me and told me they found some other things. If you take your car in to be fixed, don't they always call you with 3 other problems they want you to pay for? Heck, even my new car when it goes in for warranty work gets a call when they find another problem other than the one I complained about.

Linux is a very good operating system and my favorite by far, as it has none of the inefficiencies of OSX. And yes, I feel that Apple should pay me my hourly rate for re-setting up my computer. After all, I only sent it in for a case repair. Sadly, it's doubtful that anything will come of it. The damages to me were minimal enough that it isn't worth pursuing with a lawyer, and small claims might be hard since I am hopefully getting a new job next week and will be moving 1800 miles away. It'd stink to have to fly back here to handle the case.

As with most ticked off people, I used this forum to vent until I felt better. :)

17. James17 macrumors 6502

They did have a reason to wipe the hard drive as you stated earlier in the thread - they found other software problems. They could have just repaired the case and when you got it back you might have found the software problems and been the type of person to complain about that, nobody can win. I don't believe Apple has no responsibility in this instance, I know they don't have any responsibility for fixing something they found and btw I am not an Apple enthusiast or one of them people who don't admit Apple get things wrong, I have just written a letter to Apple's head office in the UK complaining about something else (blog). I will say this again, I understand your anger and I would feel exactly the same as you do but when you are calm hopefully you see it from a sensible point of view. Drinking cherryade is like asking for your teeth to fall out the amount of sugar in it. :D:rolleyes:

18. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

darkwing, it is abundantly clear that you are very upset about what happened. However, your earlier post suggests that nothing else was wrong with your computer except a latch problem. You seem to be very sure of this. So b4 u sent the computer in, u did a full diagnostic work-up on your machine? Or do you really believe that Apple either: a) lied about something being wrong, when it was not, or b)just decided to dump your hard drive and reinstall the OS just for the heck of it?

I have had many repairs done by Apple, and virtually none of the repairs necessitated a reinstall of the OS. So if they did that to yours, I would have to believe that there was a problem. Whether they notified you of an issue or not is another matter.

And with regard to the car analogy, this is a warranty repair, where anything that they do is fully covered and essentially of no cost to you. The car repair is an entirely different matter. And with my car, the BMW dealer just repairs any problem that they find when they have the car. They tell me what they did when I pick it up. If they call and say, "Sir, your brakes are bad and they are covered under warranty, should I replace them?", what would I logically reply? Several of my Apple repairs uncovered additional issues requiring repairs that I didn't anticipate, and I was happy that they took care of everything all at once. It saved me alot of future aggravation.

In any event, if I could give u some advice: Call Apple Customer Relations tomorrow. The crew there are very nice, and very eager to make u a happy customer, regardless of whether u are leaving their product behind or not(obviously they want u to stay). If u are nice to them when u call, you'd be surprised at what they will do for you. I have dealt with them in the past, and I have always left the experience happy.

Please report back to us what happens and of course best of luck with your new job!! It must be pretty special for you to move 1800 miles!

19. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I'd ask for a new case, because a big part of owning a mbp is for the looks.

Oh ok I see now that they did fix it.. but your hd was wiped out.. at least you got the hard part fixed?

20. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

So whats the problem?

You got your MBP Fixed, and they did a clean install, its probably a new system, shipped yours in, shipped out a refurb.

You had all your important data backed up, so by having a clean install, they cleared out all the crap that accumalates.

21. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yeah...

Wiping out a hard drive is very standard procedure when any computer is brought in for repair. It reduces liability, as everything is back to a state when all was working properly.

While your data loss was unfortunate, it was your responsibility to back up, the same way it's a good idea to empty out your car of any valuables if you give it to a mechanic.

22. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Can't blame the mechanic is the car is cleaned a little too much, since the mechanic likely doesn't have the time to search through the car for valuables.

Blame the lot monkeys for eating the bananas.

23. Sirus2400 macrumors regular

Darkwing, didn't they give you the option to back up your HD for you for like $25? Every time I've used AppleCare for a repair where I sent my computer in they first gave me the option to pay for a backup, then told me if I decided not to back up, than they were not responsible for any data loss. Given, my queries were for hardware problems (Damn superdrives on the Ti G4's), but they still said it every time