Bulk Flash Drives?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by xdxdaustin, May 17, 2013.

1. xdxdaustin macrumors regular

Does anyone know a good place to get 1gb flash drives in bulk/on the cheap? Its for a nonprofit cause. I recently raised money to surprise children in Jamaica with a new iPad Mini for their new computer lab and I would also like to purchase as many flash drives with about a budget of $80.00. I hope to buy at least 60 flash drives. Anyone have any ideas? I know the kids in Jamaica will really appreciate it

2. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Newegg has these for ~$15 each shipped. Works out to ~$90 for 60 but if you call the seller (not Newegg but a partner) they may work something out for a large order like that.

3. RadDave macrumors regular

RadDave

Hi Xdxdaustin - just curious, but is your plan to use the USB flash drives w/ the iPads? If so, no go! The iPad does not provide that functionality; now there is a CCK (Camera Connection Kit - extra $$) that accepts a USB connector, but for a digital camera to transfer images.

Now, if the flash drives are for another purpose, then these get even cheaper per GB w/ the larger ones; I just bought a 32 GB USB 3.0 drive @ Frys (HERE) for about a buck a Gig. So, I'd do some searching - look @ the brands @ Frys & on Amazon - you may have to contact the seller's or manufacturers for a bulk discount (and possibly more off once you explain the reasons). Good luck & please let us know the outcome - :)

4. snberk103 macrumors 603

Go talk to a manager at some big stores that sell these things. Show them how you have already done all the work to get the iPads, and you may be pleasantly surprised. These stores get bombarded everyday by people with ideas on how the store can spend its money for a good cause. Rarely do they see someone who has put their own time (and money) on the line as well - something you have done. Good on you... I think if you visit some stores you will find someone willing to sell a bunch of drives for cheap. Good Luck.

5. xdxdaustin thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advise everyone! I'll be going around to my local Walmart and Best Buy ASAP and let you guys know the results :D