Bulletproof case?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wrdabney, Jul 14, 2009.

1. wrdabney macrumors member

Ok, not quite bulletproof...but I'm looking for a case for my 3gs that is very tough to dropping, hard contact, and possibly waterproof. The reason I ask is because I work construction but I like having my phone on me to use the calculator and some apps that are handy for construction purposes. It can be a belt holster style or just a case that can go in my pocket? Any suggestions?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

otterbox. Best protection for water ... well waterproof is probably not right but it's going to take a little splash.

3. iLoveiPhone3GS macrumors member

+1 for the otterbox. I dont have one but from the videos I've seen, it looks pretty burly. That would interesting to see a case made of kevlar. Not sure about bulletproof though cause the sheer force of a bullet would probably destroy the phone, but nonetheless, a sweet idea.

4. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

otterbox, close the thread. i have a job where i never work inside and i wouldnt want any other case.

5. wrdabney thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the info. i will check that out. sounds like the way to go

6. wrdabney thread starter macrumors member

just checked out the video for the otterbox. im about to place my order. I was just curious if anybody has fully submerged their phone with the otterbox (accidentally or on purpose) and the results?

7. KT MONEY macrumors newbie

def otterbox defender case without a doubt. my dad does construction and i got him to get the defender case when they come out, actually pre-ordered it, and he loves it. he dropd it on concrete like the first day he had it (from about 3 feet btw) and no problems and has dropd it a couple more times since then. plus what they dont tell u which they should cuz its a great feature is that the bottom speaker holes have a tough cloth like material where the ports are(no other case i kno of has that) so dirt wont get packed n the speakers, etc.(that has come n handy for him alot). jus 2 let u kno the headphones port cover will wear and brake off over time, and he doesnt even use his headphones with it alot but the dock connector port on the bottom is still holding strong and of course he uses that everyday(alot actually cuz he watches alot of youtube, so he charges alot). the holster clip it comes with wont last but a month or so, his broke maybe from being to rough with it, jus to let u kno if you do get it. and make sure u get a good seal on the screen when u put your fone n it so the air bubbles dont come up, it can affect your input with your finger but nothing real major. and for reasurance, he has taken his iphone in all kinds of rough, rough places with the case on it and it looks like new when he takes it out and cleans it(not that its dirty he jus likes doin it 4 sum reason). sorry 4 the long post, im real thorough, if you hav ne questions bout it let me kno. another note, it does add a little extra bulk to your iphone but well worth it imo.

8. w3cum macrumors regular

I have an OtterBox Defender on my my 3gs... the same case I had on my 3g when I ended up in the Potomac River (not on purpose). The phone had all 3 flaps closed and when I got out of the water (5 minutes later) I pulled out my phone and neither of the moisture strips had tripped. I took the phone out of the case and dried everything off but everything worked perfect.
    I do not use the clip they provide, I carry mine in a "Strobe Light" MOLLE pouch because it has a velcro closure and quick release snap.
    I have dropped my phone more than I care to admit and never had because of the OtterBox. I also will say they have AMAZING customer service. I called when the bottom flap that covers the connector started to tear (like the poster above). I had a new case in 3 days. I dont work for them, but I wish they made more of our gear.

9. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Is the only place to purchase the Otterbox online? I'd love to pick one up at a retail location.

(I'm a bit surprised AT&T or at least Apple doesn't offer this case.)

10. w3cum macrumors regular

I got mine from Otterbox.com ........ only place I have seen them in a store was at one of those pagoda's in the mall selling cell phone cases (and I was kinda surprised to see them there). I know they are a little pricy but well worth the cost.

11. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Thanks.
    I just jumped on their website and see they offer one case at $20. and the Defender at $50.00.

Other than cost, what is the primary difference between the two?

12. KT MONEY macrumors newbie

reply to:
    Thanks.
    I just jumped on their website and see they offer one case at $20. and the Defender at $50.00.

Other than cost, what is the primary difference between the two?

the defender is a 3 piece case. a 2 piece hardshell with the 3rd piece being a soft rubber/silicone outer shell. and i think the defender is the only one even out of the 2 otterbox cases that has a screen membrane so it actually protects the screen. and the $20 impact case is jus a tough rubber/silicone case that fits around it but proly good for light-to-medium protection id think. i like the impact case alot but not to sure if i like the bulky corners but then yet thats where u get alot of your protection from.

13. w3cum macrumors regular

The Defender, which is what I have is a plastic case you put your phone into. It has a cover across the screen (screen still fully usable) and has 3 white filters over the speaker and mic on the bottom of the phone and the ear piece on the front. the 2 pieces of plastic lock together real tight and protect the phone really well. Then there is a 3rd piece that is a rubber that goes over the phone and really locks it all together. This rubber piece has the flaps you open to access the bottom connector/ silent switch/ and earphone connector. Their $20 case is jsut a rubber case that goes around the phone and I do not believe it covers the screen...

14. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Thanks.
    Don't know which, but will probably pick one of these two cases up soon.

I had a near mishap today and other than a lucky grab and catch, could have kissed my iPhone bye-bye.

15. JROD333 macrumors newbie

Amazon.com has the cheapest deals on OtterBox that I've seen other than maybe eBay....

16. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

My AT&T store sells em.