Bum SSD, Word Bugginess, or ...?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JimAtLaw, May 2, 2010.

1. JimAtLaw macrumors 6502

Ok, I have an odd performance issue I haven't noticed before and want to see if anyone else has seen similar behavior.

Occasionally, when I click on a directory in Finder, it takes a second or three before giving the listing, which is odd as the SSD is usually lightning fast.

Also, Word is occasionally freezing up on me when editing some large docs sourced from Windows office, some with embedded graphics, etc. - it beachballs and does not come back with time, and a couple of times has exhibited other odd behaviors including blank dialog boxes during save, blank menus, and changing the display of my document to all question marks as if in an unsupported font. I know Office 2008 is buggy, esp. when working with big docs and complex docs from the Windows versions, but this evening, I got several of those symptoms at the same time (not entirely surprising), and when I killed Word, got an error message (which I should have written down but didn't) saying that there had been a disk error and that my document was inaccessible, and expressly suggesting that I had a bad disk.

My system log is full of Word errors ("Unable to lock window," "Cannot map backing data shmem," "Unable to allocate xxxxxx bytes for bitmap data" and others), but none with the text of the error message I got, and I might just chalk this off to Word for the Mac being a clunker, but the fact that directories are sometimes slower than expected to view gives me pause.

So I'll put it out there - have you ever gotten an error like this when Word for the Mac crashed? When browsing files in Finder, does it ever stop for a few seconds before displaying a directory, even with an SSD?

2. JimAtLaw thread starter macrumors 6502

Update: I XBenched my SSD and the performance tested fine, though the delay in directory browsing still strikes me as a little odd & fear inspiring under the circumstances. (Glad I have a Time Capsule...)

So no one's seen an error message referring to a possibly bad drive from Word?

3. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Hmm, that is odd. I've never had issues browsing Finder with my SSD.

Which SSD do you have? How often does it happen?

4. JimAtLaw thread starter macrumors 6502

It's very regular - half of the time if the directory has at least 20 files in it, I'd guess.

I click on a subdirectory in the Documents folder, and it takes several seconds, a very noticeable delay, before the files list pops up in the next column.

Oh, and I have the Apple/Toshiba 512GB SSD.