Bummed...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by philb7777, Jan 8, 2008.

1. philb7777 macrumors newbie

Man I was so looking forward to Mac Expo next week. I just knew that Blu-ray drives that were BTO in Mac Pros, new cinema displays, and software updates to Final cut and or iMovie were going to enable blu-ray DVD burning support.

Looks like with the mac pro update, that won't happen yet. Here is my situation: I have a G5 that is getting long in the tooth, and need to upgrade to a Mac Pro. I've been wating for two years to see if blu-ray would be supported. I need blu-ray because I film all of my kids activities (cheerleading and basketball) in HD and want to burn them to a high definition disc. I really don't need to or plan to watch HD commercial movies on the Mac Pro.

Any feeling from anyone (even speculation) on when blu-ray will come to the Mac Pro's with apple-supported software? I really thought I would be getting my new Mac Pro next week......................

2. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

If we don't hear anything next week, which seems likely since the Mac pro's were announced today w/o mentioning Blu-Ray, I would go ahead and get the Mac Pro. The internal expandability of the Mac Pro is a big benefit, and WHEN support is announced, I am sure you can add on a drive.

Don't hold off waiting forever, when you could be enjoying your new computer now...

3. benpatient macrumors 68000

If you're waiting for BluRay, don't. If it is supported after some announcement next week, your new Mac Pro will have a nice open drive bay waiting for it. Just don't BTO a new Mac Pro with two super drives and you're OK.

A Mac Pro with the 8800 GT is a good (if expensive) buy right now.

For that matter, so is an old 2.66ghz Mac Pro and an 8800 GT add-on card!

8 cores is more than I need. I wouldn't mind the 1600 mhz FSB, though...

4. olliebraves20 macrumors regular

I would have to agree....when the support comes for Blu-Ray you should have no problem adding it. Like mentioned that is where the expandability of the Mac Pro is amazing!

I sometimes fall into the same trap...always waiting for the next thing...however you should just get the Mac Pro and be happy with it because there is no computer on earth like it....

5. Madhawk macrumors regular

Madhawk

I feel the same, and no news of a new Cinema Displays with HDMI.
    Big dissapointment.... :mad:

6. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

DVI is ample surely?

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'd think so. Especially given the lack of speakers, DVI contains exactly the same info.

8. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Exactly, HDMI is just a more user friendly cable!

9. MikeL macrumors 6502

Why someone would want HDMI on a display without audio is baffling.