Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackbelter

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
A very trusted source close to Apple's media event on Tuesday reports that the company is only revealing the iPad Mini -- nothing else. The 7.85-inch tablet is also slated to go on sale next Friday, followed by the iPad 4 in the Spring.

According to the source, Apple's not spilling the details until the actual event -- Apple PR likes to "keep its cards close to its proverbial chest." Previous reports indicated that the company plans to unload 12 models in two colors and possibly three connectivity options (Wi-Fi only, 3G and 4G), totaling 24 units.

Of course, we've heard lots of different rumors about what Apple plans to showcase tomorrow in addition to the iPad Mini, spanning an updated iPad 3 to a Retina 13-inch MacBook Pro. But what we DO know is that Apple is officially launching an attack on the 7-inch tablet market starting tomorrow, and Google plans to fire right back in the 10-inch market on Monday. Kapow.

The battle begins tomorrow at 10 a.m. PDT / 1 p.m. EDT.

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/iPad-Mini-Tuesday-iOS-Nexus-10-MacBook,18631.html

----------

MO: Concerning the full sized iPad, either as claimed in the above news, i.e. there will be no refreshment, or a complete refreshment. The little refreshment on only the connector makes no sense whatsoever.

AzN1337c0d3r

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2010
Previous reports indicated that the company plans to unload 12 models in two colors and possibly three connectivity options (Wi-Fi only, 3G and 4G), totaling 24 units.

This makes no sense. 3 connectivity options? WHY would they make their production lines and purchasing decision more complex by splitting it into separate 3G/4G models?

More likely that it is 2 connectivity options, 2 colors, 3 capacities and the iPad is getting refreshed.

Scott2345

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2012
A very trusted source close to Apple's media event on Tuesday reports that the company is only revealing the iPad Mini -- nothing else. The 7.85-inch tablet is also slated to go on sale next Friday, followed by the iPad 4 in the Spring.

According to the source, Apple's not spilling the details until the actual event -- Apple PR likes to "keep its cards close to its proverbial chest." Previous reports indicated that the company plans to unload 12 models in two colors and possibly three connectivity options (Wi-Fi only, 3G and 4G), totaling 24 units.

Of course, we've heard lots of different rumors about what Apple plans to showcase tomorrow in addition to the iPad Mini, spanning an updated iPad 3 to a Retina 13-inch MacBook Pro. But what we DO know is that Apple is officially launching an attack on the 7-inch tablet market starting tomorrow, and Google plans to fire right back in the 10-inch market on Monday. Kapow.

The battle begins tomorrow at 10 a.m. PDT / 1 p.m. EDT.

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/iPad-Mini-Tuesday-iOS-Nexus-10-MacBook,18631.html

----------

MO: Concerning the full sized iPad, either as claimed in the above news, i.e. there will be no refreshment, or a complete refreshment. The little refreshment on only the connector makes no sense whatsoever.

I sure hope your source is right about the mini going on sale next Friday!

Last edited by a moderator:

blackbelter

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
I've never heard of toms hardware

It's about right, since now we are in the POST PC ERA (or so Jobs said).

Anyway, Tom's hardware is a website for tech, especially those concerning desktop computers, journalism. As far as I have seen, it's a pretty well established website.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
This makes no sense. 3 connectivity options? WHY would they make their production lines and purchasing decision more complex by splitting it into separate 3G/4G models?

More likely that it is 2 connectivity options, 2 colors, 3 capacities and the iPad is getting refreshed.

If the starting price is closer to $299 or higher then I think they should have world 3G chipset in that base model. Not bother with the WIFI only base model. Sure it might be a cheap 3G chip that might not do the fastest 3G specs but basic mobile should be close to standard feature on a tablet. In much the same way WIFI went from optional to standard over a couple of generations. Cellular should be making the same transition.

Refresh the main iPad to the same connectivity options of base cellular and advanced cellular.

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
I'm calling it myself. Where has anyone seen any updates for the ipad 4 that are actually confirmed?

We had leaked iphone 5 photos coming in months ahead of schedule. All while have seen nothing apart from 1 and now 2 vague photos, that look cropped.

These rumors and gut-feelings about an ipad 4 are the iphone 4s type rumors all over again. Then you had everyone crying because they didn't release the hype being circulated prior.

blackbelter

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
I'm calling it myself. Where has anyone seen any updates for the ipad 4 that are actually confirmed?

We had leaked iphone 5 photos coming in months ahead of schedule. All while have seen nothing apart from 1 and now 2 vague photos, that look cropped.

These rumors and gut-feelings about an ipad 4 are the iphone 4s type rumors all over again. Then you had everyone crying because they didn't release the hype being circulated prior.

See the last image

There you go.

Last edited:

Jamiednm

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2012
It's about right, since now we are in the POST PC ERA (or so Jobs said).

That was really a silly statement. We're nowhere near a 'post-PC era'. Other than basic activities like web browsing and simple word processing, tablets and mobile phones are useless for any serious work.

If Apple do release an iPad4 in 2013, then that's just overkill - 5 models of the same device in 4 years?! They really need to stop ignoring the desktop computer market.

Markdek

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2012
That was really a silly statement. We're nowhere near a 'post-PC era'. Other than basic activities like web browsing and simple word processing, tablets and mobile phones are useless for any serious work.

If Apple do release an iPad4 in 2013, then that's just overkill - 5 models of the same device in 4 years?! They really need to stop ignoring the desktop computer market.

Think of them as updates, not new models; that's why it's called "The iPad". Get w/ the Apple program :)

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
If the starting price is closer to $299 or higher then I think they should have world 3G chipset in that base model. Not bother with the WIFI only base model. Sure it might be a cheap 3G chip that might not do the fastest 3G specs but basic mobile should be close to standard feature on a tablet. In much the same way WIFI went from optional to standard over a couple of generations. Cellular should be making the same transition.

Refresh the main iPad to the same connectivity options of base cellular and advanced cellular.

Thanks, but I don't want to pay for a 3G chip in the model I buy, I want WiFi only, I neither need nor want to pay for cellular connectivity in a device like this.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Part of me thinks that there won't be a 3G/4G model for cost-savings and simplicity of product line, but another part of me thinks these are necessary to stay competitive with other products in this size niche.

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Thanks, but I don't want to pay for a 3G chip in the model I buy, I want WiFi only, I neither need nor want to pay for cellular connectivity in a device like this.

I found the WIFi version completely useless after owning a cellular data enabled tablet. The whole point of a tablet in the first place is portability.

Going back to a wifi only was like going back to dialup or getting rid of a DVR.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
I found the WIFi version completely useless after owning a cellular data enabled tablet. The whole point of a tablet in the first place is portability.

Going back to a wifi only was like going back to dialup or getting rid of a DVR.

My Kindle is WiFi only, my first iPad was WiFi only (and my next tablet will be WiFi only) - they are all fully functioning and great. For those times I need (which admittedly used to be rare and now is completely non-existent) connectivity and I'm not in a location that has WiFi, MiFi does the trick and allows me to connect more than just my Kindle or iPad, but also my laptop. For me cellular connectivity in these devices is a feature that is not necessary and adds to the expense of the device up front, and on an ongoing basis (per device) which I just can't justify, but then again I haven't submitted to the telco's thought reforming & reorientation programme they have launched world-wide where they convince average people that every single device *needs* connectivity and that paying for a monthly data contract for each device is morally good.<wry grin>

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
My Kindle is WiFi only, my first iPad was WiFi only (and my next tablet will be WiFi only) - they are all fully functioning and great. For those times I need (which admittedly used to be rare and now is completely non-existent) connectivity and I'm not in a location that has WiFi, MiFi does the trick and allows me to connect more than just my Kindle or iPad, but also my laptop. For me cellular connectivity in these devices is a feature that is not necessary and adds to the expense of the device up front, and on an ongoing basis (per device) which I just can't justify, but then again I haven't submitted to the telco's thought reforming & reorientation programme they have launched world-wide where they convince average people that every single device *needs* connectivity and that paying for a monthly data contract for each device is morally good.<wry grin>

^^^this

My phone is enough, I have enough bills sucking money out of my wallet as it is.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
"A very trusted source close to Apple's media event....."

:D I really, really love these so called source close to Apple's, etc threads :p

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本

I found the WIFi version completely sufficient after owning a cellular data enabled tablet.

Going back to a wifi only was possible after getting a mobile wifi router. One data plan for multiple devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.