Bummer, spilled water on my MacBook Pro 16

1rottenapple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
I’m am horribly bummed right now. I had water bottles in my backpack heading home from work. I toook my MacBook Pro 16, Two months old to work. I’m super sleep deprived the past few days given I made mistakes and errors on spelling in email. #covidstress running on 2 hrs of sleep. Anyway my MacBook Pro won’t turn on. It was soaked. I’m so sad right now. I went home. Shop for groceries that was needed and went to sleep at 745pm. I don’t even want to look at it. It’s in my car trunk. 😩😩😩 by end of July my work will transition to telework so add that to insult to injury cause I really need this repaired. I know it’s a computer but man to add all my stress from what’s going on in the world to fear of work cut backs. I didn’t need another thing to worry about. So I know I have my health and family’s health. That’s the most important thing.

laptech

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Unless he/she has Applecare +, Apple support will not touch this because the water ingress stickers inside the machine would have activated due to the presence of liquid and thus will charge full amount for repair. Even before the excuse of convidstress, you knew you was going to carry the macbook in your backpack with waterbottles so when you bought the macbook, why didn't you buy a waterproof sleeve to put the macbook in to protect it?

I fix macbook motherboards on a daily basis and I am astounded at the amount of liquid damage motherboards I get. I will never understand why macbook owners are so careless with their macbooks.

morze

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2019
Unless he/she has Applecare +, Apple support will not touch this because the water ingress stickers inside the machine would have activated due to the presence of liquid and thus will charge full amount for repair. Even before the excuse of convidstress, you knew you was going to carry the macbook in your backpack with waterbottles so when you bought the macbook, why didn't you buy a waterproof sleeve to put the macbook in to protect it?

I fix macbook motherboards on a daily basis and I am astounded at the amount of liquid damage motherboards I get. I will never understand why macbook owners are so careless with their macbooks.
I'm sure many travel with water and a laptop in their backpack. And I'm sure he/she has learnt their lesson and doesn't need a lecture on what is now already learnt with first hand experience.

I was going to suggest not attempting to turn it on and letting it dry out, but it sounds like an excessive amount of water that will then eventually trigger corrosion even if it turns on.

If you purchased with a credit card it may have insurance, check it out... Or Apple Care+ if you signed up for it pre-damage. Other than that you might be out of luck and may have to get a quote for repair.

You'll feel better after a sleep. Be careful driving.

Reactions: xxray and Fali1991

aibo82

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
yeah take the back off pull the battery tab and leave it upside down with the screen open so the water down travel anymore through the keyboard

Never mind

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida
yeah take the back off pull the battery tab and leave it upside down with the screen open so the water down travel anymore through the keyboard
And you think this is going to help any? Really? The computer is toast now, too much time has passed. Get real, do you have a third-party repair shop around that might be able to fix-it, save up for another system, get apple care plus, don’t put water in your backpack. Just common sense stuff

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
That's really a shame, and I'm sorry this happened :/

What I do is I keep ALL drinks an arm's stretch away. It's still risky, but my theory is that if it spills I will have enough time to MOVE the laptop away as quickly as possible from the spill.

If I keep the drink next to my laptop, it could spill directly on the keyboard/trackpad and there would be no chance of saving it from the spill.

But if I keep it an arm's stretch away, it will spill on the table first before the liquid reaches the laptop, assuming it even spills in the same direction as the laptop. I could knock it over in the other direction, and then the liquid would flow the other way away from my laptop. If it did spill in my direction, I would hopefully be able to move the laptop out of the way before the liquid reaches the device.

By arm's stretch, what I mean is that I keep it as far as I can from me, to where I have to stretch or reach in order to get the drink. It's still close enough so that I don't have to get out of my chair. I just have to reach over to get it, instead of it being right by me.

So If I'm at my laptop, I keep the drink to the right or left of me by several feet, having to reach over to get it.

So far, I've been OKAY with this method, knock on wood.

1rottenapple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Ok seeking guidance on the next step.
This is a harsh harsh lesson learned. In my 20 years of owning laptop a I’ve never spilled any so I guess I took it for granted. Never again right?

I’ll have to buy one pretty soon as I said I need it to telework.

Ok basically is this impossible to repair, if the computer is soak for 55 mins in water? It’s just not a matter of fixing the logic board it could be multiple components failing. It’s too broken to repair? There was water coming out of the vents when I took it out of the back pack. I was too dejected to even deal with it last night cause I’m sure in horrible shape.
Right now Apple stores are closed in Southern California due to covid restrictions being reconstituted due to high numbers so I can’t take it to the Apple store. I wonder when if it’s worth getting a diagnostic given the severity of the issue.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2013
USA
I just wanted to say I'm sorry you're going through this, and I emphasize with your pain. Hang in there, I know those times are rough and things will get better soon. :)

Perhaps try and see if your renter's/homeowner's insurance will cover this? Just a thought.

Hang in there.

Reactions: CharlesShaw

IngerMan

macrumors 68000
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
Sorry for your pain, we all make mistakes like this that in the end we know we shouldn’t have. It can happen to the best of us.

check all possible warranty coverage from how you purchased it.

if it comes down to a wash. Your not alone, don’t hang your head. It happens to many. Best of luck.

Blowback

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2018
VA
DO TRY what KoolAid-Drink said about Rental or other insurance BUT if possible try to personally contact your local agent. I say this because I was working on my car windshield recently (car wash removed a strip) and cracked the windshield. Called my local AllState agent and told him the truth...that it was my fault...and he had it covered !!!...1400$! Sorry for your pain but you may have nothing to loose at this point. Also, if it is a total loss try to sell what you can (the screen?) on eBay to help cover the cost of the replacement. AND: get Apple Care for the replacement!

mastermind6192

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2010
USA
It might actually be worth fixing it since it's so new. It might even be covered by your renters/homeowners insurance or credit card warranty if you didn't get AC+. Just setup a mail in repair and get a quote before committing to a new one.

Dhock_Holiday

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2019
Chalk it up to an expensive lesson learned, if the MacBook was switched off you could have recovered it by taking the back panel off and leaving it in rice for a couple of days. NEVER attempt to turn on a computer immediately after its taken in liquid.

Reactions: G5isAlive
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.