Bump from 9600GT to 200M on 15", when?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Azazul, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Azazul macrumors newbie

Azazul

Hey all, first post after about six months of stalking :). Like many others I'm looking to convert to Mac but I'm in no desperate need (cravings aside). Arrandale would be nice, but it's not primarily what I'm lacking as the title suggests...

Rather I am wondering when it's likely that Apple will switch the 9600GT in the MBP 15" for something in the 200M-series? Are there patterns in how they usually upgrade? Is the 200M dependent on any other hardware (perhaps motherboard) which can give us an indication?

The 200M seems to be a very serious bumb in graphics performance and since I do some gaming and wish to be able to play a few releases to-come it feels like a must. All expertise and qualified guesses are welcome, thanks in advance!

2. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

I'm not exactly sure myself but I think it's hard to put a finger on exactly what you are talking about. Isn't the 200M series not as quality as the 9 series anyway?

3. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

The usually do two/three revisions with one GPU model so logically next revision should see an intro of a new GPU...another mid-range GPU

4. Azazul thread starter macrumors newbie

Azazul

Not really, the 100M-series is pretty much the same as the 9600GT (10-20% performance bump or so, same architecture) but the 200M is a new model which should have significantly better performance looking to specs.

5. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Yes, you will probably see a new GPU in the next revision, hopefully by early 2010. With Arrandale coming in Q4 of 2009, we will hopefully see some new stuff coming to the MBP/MB/MA line.