Bumper doesn't fix antenna

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by proathlete03, Jul 2, 2010.

1. proathlete03 macrumors member

Just to everyone here who's trying to find a bumper, I cupped mine in the bottom of my hand and the signal goes from 5 bars down to 1. When hold the phone normally its fine, just when cupping the bottom does it really have an issue. Interesting!

Maybe it really is a software miscalculation? Or maybe we got screwed again.

Just received my bumper today...

2. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

Don't cup the bottom. Hold the bottom normally, like you would if you were using the phone normally, and see what happens.

Cupping the bottom is like wrapping it in lead. Of course it will attenuate the signal. There's no way for the signal to get around your hand.

The issue without a bumper was that holding the phone normally would attenuate signal because you were touching the bands together. The bumper largely solves that. But "cupping" is an unnatural hold and therefore not really a fair test.

Also, forget the bars, run Speedtest both ways and see what happens.

3. -MRB macrumors 6502

Just because yours doesn't work, it doesn't mean it wont work for everybody else.

It fixed the issue for me perfectly.

4. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

5. nparmelee macrumors 6502

6. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

7. christianinri macrumors member

LOL

8. normwood macrumors 6502a

normwood

I just got my 32 gig yesterday morning. I had received my black bumper a couple days earlier.

I synced my phone and then put the bumper on. it has only been off once....just now for a test.

I am sitting in our office in our home. I get full five bars of 3G.

With my Bumper case on I can put the phone in the wrong-handed death grip. After five minutes I got tired of watching the bars do nothing. Stayed at 5 bars of 3G

I take the Bumper off and do the same test...awkward death grip... and I get different results. Within a minute it drops down to 1-2 bars. I say awkward death grip because that is not the way I hold my phone. It doesn't feel natural. I hold it in my left hand will surfing and such....but with a pretty loose grip. When I am talking I hold it with my right.

My point to my rambling. IN MY CASE...no pun intended....the Bumper case solves a problem I really don't have. I intend to keep it on anyway because I actually like it....atleast until the next case I like better comes along...and the next one and the next one. :D I love the look of the naked phone...but it actually feels better...and more secure in my hand...with a case on it.

P.S. Yes I know it is a "nice story bro" and yes I'm a Fanboy!

Steve

9. proathlete03 thread starter macrumors member

Hardly. My tower is only a few blocks away. I'm in the middle of one of the biggest cities in the country.

10. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Keep in mind that the bumper will only reduce the amount of attenuation since you won't also be acting like a conductor across the gap.

You will still see bars drop in areas you get 1-4 bars (and in areas where you are borderline 5 bars). Calls should be fine as long as you can hold onto a bar or two.

In an unrelated, but coincidental issue, 3G data is currently suffering on AT&T's network in some areas of the country. I can be in really good reception areas, bars don't drop if I grip the phone, but data throughput is terrible no matter how I hold the phone. I move to a different tower with the same reception strength, and data is blazing fast. Rather annoying. But it is something AT&T is aware of and working on.

11. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8A293)

I tried one yesterday and I'm returning it because it does nothing for my iPhone. Hoping a different case will work.
    And for you smart mouths out there, I'm not holding my phone in any awkward way , it's just resting in my left hand like my 3GS.

12. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

Just because yours works, it doesn't mean it works for everybody else.

13. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

By "cupping", do you mean holding it normal or do you mean surrounding the whole bottom end of the phone like a, well, cup? Like your holding a firefly? My old 3G will slowly drop bars if I do that.

Case or no case, if you surround the whole antenna area with human flesh, your absorbing a good bit of the radiation that is supposed to travel freely.

Maybe I'm understanding you wrong.

14. proathlete03 thread starter macrumors member

Correct. I did it on purpose as a test. When I do the same to my iPhone 3G / 3GS it doesn't do this at all.

15. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

A bumper resolved (workaround) the issue for me, meaning I don't see the drop in signal strength (bars) and I can make calls.