Bumper issues

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by habubauza, Jul 3, 2010.

1. habubauza macrumors regular

habubauza

I bought a bumper as instructed to by Apple so that I would have better reception and stop dropping calls on my iPhone 4; but the bumper blocks my desktop charger plug and other plug-in accessories. Every time I need to charge the phone I have to remove the bumper and put it back on when charging is finished, same thing with my car charger and jack for my speaker system. It keeps pulling on my invisible shield and I am afraid eventually it's going to pull it completely off. The mute switch is also inaccessible with the bumper on. Is this normal? Or do I have a bad bumper that may be a bit too thick?

2. hlysmksbtmn macrumors member

Same here with my bumper

3. Apple-NoEscape macrumors 6502

Not sure how the bumper is in person but coul you possibly use a file or something to make the hole slightly wider?

4. jsep macrumors member

if you use the charger that came with your phone, this shouldn't be happening. It is happening with my older chargers though.

5. hlysmksbtmn macrumors member

That's ghetto. Better to take it back and get a case that works for you.

6. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

I got my Bumper first thing the morning of in-store launch, generally happy with it. I'm still not sure if I like the iPhone 4 better naked or with the Bumper, yet. And yes, it can be a little difficult getting to the mute switch, depends on your fingers. I did have to modify my car adapter, but it wasn't hard.

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

8. habubauza thread starter macrumors regular

habubauza

Unfortunately it happens with the charger that came with the phone too. Huh. Reading the other posts it seems like it's just something I have to live with.

9. firewood macrumors 604

My bumper works just fine with the charging cable I got in the box with it and my other iPhones, just got to wiggle it a bit to get the cable seated. But it won't work with any of my cheaper 3rd party cables.

10. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

For the cable they packed in with the iPhone 4, the Bumper is cut perfectly and you shouldn't have a problem.

11. habubauza thread starter macrumors regular

habubauza

OK, I'll try to wiggle it.

12. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

A bumper is not the only case that works well. There are many options. I'd find one that allows access to the dock connector and that will work well for you too.

13. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

seems like apple might need to not only release a revised iphone but a revised bumper as well

14. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

That's what I was thinking!
    Jeeeez what's up with Apple lately?
    :eek:

15. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Some problem here. My docks don't work including my new iphone 4 dock. What a pain... :confused:

16. random person macrumors 6502a

Has anyone successfully modified the bumper so that third party dock accessories can fit? I like mine fine but I'm bummed about that problem!

17. sheaitisnotso macrumors regular

Not sure why there are so many problems. I tried my wife's bumper to see if I wanted one and in addition to the regular charger, I was able to plug mine into a 3rd party car charger and my Sony radio/iPhone dock with no problems.

18. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

Man the problem that I have with my bumper is that it works great, too good actually. I wish it sucked so I had no choice but to go naked. The bumper kind of ruins the looks and feel of the phone. :-(

19. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

I have a bumper and charger that came with phone fits no problem. Not sure what you all are talking about.

20. pasipple macrumors 6502a

pasipple

All iPhone docks are made to accept the iPhones without a case. It would be impossible to design one single dock to accommodate a naked iPhone, one with a bumper, and one with the hundreds of cases on the market.

As far as the bumper goes...it takes about 10 seconds to remove it and another 10 to put it back on...if you intend on using it with the dock.

Otherwise, you can charge the iPhone with the bumper installed by using the USB charger that comes with the iPhone.

21. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

What is impossible is your limited imagination. It would not be impossible. It would be more like Apple is so self absorbed in their own "the iphone does not need a case" as being the reason. Off the cuff I could see a design where the dock stand backrest is adjustable with click stops to move it back to adjust for the thickness of the case, along with doc extenders. Not hard at all.

22. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I"ve got a 3G, a 3GS, and now a 4. I just tried each of the cables that came with them and they all fit perfectly fine in the iP4 with a black bumper on it. I just got one today.
    Mind you, it wasn't as smooth as a high school QB during prom night. But each of them fit in fine and worked perfectly. So you might want to play with it. Don't worry, you won't go blind.

23. pasipple macrumors 6502a

pasipple

Well I'm sure it's not impossible...thanks for pointing that out so eloquently! Economically no one is going to rush such a charger to market.

What your talking about isn't going to sale...certainly not to a large enough market base. If there was enough interest in such a charger...than someone would capitalize on those demands and make it.

Apple...."is so self absorbed..."....You would know! Apple is no different than any other business for profit. If there was a market and a demand for a product...they...as would others...would be selling such a product.

Don't hold your breath...

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    Why do people think they can plug their iphones with all kinds of cases to any dock or accessory out there?

25. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

I have noticed this also all of my accessories and apple cables that are older than three years do not properly connect to the iPhone 4 with the bumper on.