Bumper leaving marks on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by MIKE666, Dec 5, 2010.

1. MIKE666 macrumors regular

just took my bumper off which i put on a good few months ago when they were giving them away for free, and noticed that it has left marks all the way around the phone.

anything i can do about this? going to ring apple up tomorrow to see if they can sort it anyone else had similar problems?

cheers
    mike

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Yeh, this is a known issue with the bumpers. The scuff marks are really minor. If you get lucky at the Apple store you might get a replacement. Really lucky.

3. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Old news.

4. MIKE666 thread starter macrumors regular

Not trying to make the front page, just asking about an issue i have.

the marks are quite bad at the top and bottom of the phone, ill ring up as my nearest apple store is about 10 miles away and i cant get anywhere due to the snow.

cheers
    mike

5. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

The dirt gets inside the bumper and scratches it, I took my iPhone out it will prob get less scratches

6. MIKE666 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah i have done that now, just booked an appointment. if all else fails ill try polishing it.

7. cecoleman macrumors regular

I'd be curious to see what they say. My bumper also left a few blemishes on my iPhone. I would call them scratches, more like blemishes if that makes sense. Underneath and around the headphone jack, and below the volume buttons. Just looks like the steel is peeled a bit.

8. scelzifan macrumors 6502

We have 3 Iphone 4's in my house and I got mine first and after a week of use with a bumper I noticed similar scratches on mine so I went to apple and they replaced the phone. I then found out about lucky labs and installed one on my phone and it has been working great ever since. Then when I bought my other 2 phones I had lucky labs on them before they ever had bumpers installed on them. Pretty cheap insurance.

9. MIKE666 thread starter macrumors regular

i think the is the last time i use a case to be honest, not the first time ive had problems like this and i much prefer my things without cases, been using the iPhone with out the bumper now and it feels like a new phone. A bit slippy though nearly dropped it a few times!

10. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

they aren't scratches, think of them more as small areas that have buffed the matte finish into a shiny spot by a piece of dirt, lint etc

a) leave it Alone
    b) pay to have it media blasted to resort matte finish
    c) polish the entire metal band

those are the only options

11. ZipZap macrumors 601

I put on one of the color wraps (icolorwrap) that go around the perimiter of the phone. These will protect the frame and also make the bumper fit more snuggly.

12. yankintx macrumors 6502

Oh my God!,,:eek::eek::eek:, I have them too from the bumper. What am I gonna do now?

Just kidding. Who the heck cares about some shiny spots on the steel band?

After many months of having the phone, I think most people will start to care less about minor blemishes.. I know I do. I keep the phone clean, and have no major scratches, but if I do get them I try to remember...it's just a phone!

13. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Just take the case off every now and then and get the dirt out, quite simple to keeping your product nice. If you leave it alone for months without caring for it, you should expec any case to cause some scratches if the dust and dirt is never cleaned out.

14. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

I've been using a bumper since the launch of the iPhone 4 and haven't noticed any scratches on the metal band of the phone.

What prevents any possible scratches is most likely how every weekend I take off the bumper to switch sims with my cycling phone. If the bumper looks dusty I clean it out.

15. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

Pics?

16. Kid Red macrumors 65816

I have a clear wrap on mine so the bumper didn't damage the sides. However, it scoffed the crap out of the power button. So much that I'm running naked for now waiting for some OEM bumpers to replace Apple's.

17. xraytech macrumors 68020

This happens with any case. Dirt particles get caught under the case and with regular use, those particles move around under the case a can cause scratches.

Save the ten miles. If you do not want your iPhone to get scratches, buy two. Use one and keep one mint in the box.

18. MIKE666 thread starter macrumors regular

hi,

i would mind if the scratches were my fault, but as they were left there by a case that apple gave to me for free because of the whole signal problem it annoyed me slightly.

anyway doesnt matter now as iv been to the apple store and they gave me a new one.

19. xraytech macrumors 68020

Yikes!!! A new one for just for a scratch on the metal band? Hmm... I've got an idea. ;)

20. enemi macrumors regular

enemi

I've been using the Bumper for about a month without any protection on the sides, just took it off to check it, and there's not one scratch.
    My volume buttons and power button both seemed fine too.. :eek:

21. Peterg2 macrumors 6502a

I would have taken it to a jeweller and for about $10 he would even out the finish, perhaps even improving it :) Similar things were done with the 3G etc with the chrome bezel getting scratched up. Taping up the front and back and then applying a bit of very fine sandpaper would, in a matter of a few minutes, result in a much nicer matte look.

22. MIKE666 thread starter macrumors regular

it was scratched quite badly on the top and bottom, not so bad on the sides.

23. xraytech macrumors 68020

Thanks for keeping the refurbished side of Apple up and running.