Bumper or iFrogz

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by GreggM3, Jun 30, 2010.

1. GreggM3 macrumors 6502

Trying to decide between a bumper or iFrogz Luxe in all black?

2. tw33k2514 macrumors newbie

The Luxe but that bump on the back may annoy you.

3. mr.stinki macrumors 6502

Well I've got the iFrogz luxe in red and black and I'm loving it! I like the "velvety" feel of the product and it feels like it would protect my iPhone pretty well. I use to have the luxe for my 3Gs, but the curves of the phone made the case feel awkward or something...

4. labrat1996 macrumors 6502

labrat1996

I am currently using a Luxe (original) but have a white Apple bumper and a red Marware bumper on order. I have been pretty happy with the Luxe and have received lot's of compliments on it (I have the metallic red and black one - I also like the gunmetal and all black). Before I put the Luxe on my phone I dropped 3 out of 4 calls. I haven't dropped one since. :)

5. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

Don't buy the iFrogz unless you want horrible flash reflections.

6. GreggM3 thread starter macrumors 6502

I actually have both now but will return one. Probably going to stick with the bumper and return the iFrogz since the coating has already started to peel. I will get a Otterbox for outdoor activities and such like camping. My only gripe is I have a car cradle for the original iPhone that fits perfectly and the bumper is a pain to slide off and on.

7. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

wow are you serious? I would have thought the rubbery material was peel-resistant. I'm gonna return mine as soon as a decent case is available.

8. GreggM3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep, as a 20 year veteran of the wireless industry I have seen the soft touch coatings wear out quickly on pretty much every device or case. HTC was the worst!

9. TechWhore macrumors regular

Side note these cases don't play well with invisible shields or film, mine shredded. Try a soft gel case if using a invisible shield or film.

10. COBRASVT macrumors regular

That happened with me to...just hollow out the flash side with a dremel or file and you'll be fine. You do have to paint the exposed portion with a black or dark marker to keep the white of the exposed plastic from reflecting.

But it looks pretty good when done.

11. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

dude you can't really be serious. I'm not gonna walk around with a ghetto'd out case.

12. digiphantom macrumors regular

I just got the iFrogz case because there were no other cases around at both the Apple (just bumpers) and Best Buy. The flash does get overexposed. My other gripe is I can't connect my shure headphones to it because the case won't allow for the standard L shape connection :(.

13. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

wow ego much?:cool:....i did it to mine and unless you know that its been done most people will not even know or see it

14. wrz0170 macrumors regular

Just my two cents. Like many, I bought the iFrogz Luxe because it was pretty much the only case available at launch. My local Apple store was sold out of bumpers within minutes.

I bought the blue one and it is a nice looking case. Fit is nice. The hole cutouts are tight and feel of it is pretty good. My cords easily plug in. My earphones work.

But....

The button on the back can get annoying on a flat surface and now the big one.

I noticed some fingerprints and some oily spots on the back. So I decided to clean it up a bit. I sprayed a little bit of lens cleaner on a tissue and some of the blue paint/coating came off with the tissue. I imagine lens cleaner is some type of alcohol base so that may have been part of the problem. My fault there.

I will try plain water next and see what happens.

15. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

16. COBRASVT macrumors regular

ok, don't.

17. pikkashoe macrumors regular

I bought the ifrogz because it was the only case available.

At first I thought it was great. It provides great protection and its got a cool velvet feel to it. I have the blue and black one. Its easy to get on and off and it has felt on the inside so the back screen does not get scratched.

Now, the cons: The little button on the back does not allow it to sit flat on a table or flat surface.

You cannot use a screen protector with this case, the case slides on so snug, that it wont allow a screen protector to be put on. I tried to put one on then slid the case on and destroyed the screen protector.

Also the flash does get affected by the case.

So due to the issue with the screen protector I am going to return it. I need something to protect the screen, and thats the downfall of this case.

I ordered a sonix snap case. I really want an Incase slider, but they are not out yet, once they come out, I will get that.

18. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

I'm in the same boat. Ordered Sonix Snap returning my iFrogz to Best Buy.

19. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

I have the ifrogz "luxe lean" and a bumper

Bumper: looks good but feels a bit 'sloppy' or plasticky. Good "face down on the table protection"

Ifrogz: Doesn't look so great but feels really solid. Nice grip on the perforated sides. Loud colors. Works beautifully with the tom-tom dock since top and bottom are fully accessible (but the vulnerable corners are protected). Very thin and will probably protect a dropped phone by breaking itself (an acceptable compromise for me). Did I say it feels great in the hand?

My preference: Ifrogz lite.

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I have the iFrogz luxe in blue and black. The big button on the back is annoying, but other than that, I like it. Probably will try a bumper when I can get one at my local Apple store.