Bumper scratched phone...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JDee, Aug 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JDee macrumors 6502a

I haven't taken the bumper off my phone from when I got it (24 June) except for yesterday and noticed there are black little scratches in the metal part of the phone. I've tried wiping these off but have noticed that they're actually indented in to the phone (I originally thought it was dirt). I always keep my phone in a case and there is no way the case could have gotten dirty inside.

If I call up Apple, will they replace the phone? And if they can, can I get a replacement 32GB instead (obviously paying extra)?

Thanks.

2. hipvamore macrumors regular

its not apples fault that dirt got under your case and scratched it
    its like if i wanted a replacement from apple i'd put some sand under my case and blame it on them.
    not their problem

3. JDee thread starter macrumors 6502a

If you read my post correctly, there is no way that dirt could have gotten in my case.

4. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

You scratched your phone and want Apple to replace it. Wow.

How do you know this?

5. hipvamore macrumors regular

well then go explain that to apple and then tell us what they say

theres no way i could have dropped my iphone and cracked it one day either, it just happened sitting there untouched

6. chanerz macrumors 6502a

they are not going to change it. wear and tear.

7. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

You can take it into Apple, but I think you are pretty much OOL, as far as getting them to do anything about it.

8. MacKai macrumors regular

MacKai

My bumper gets cleaned out every couple of days, maybe you should try it. No scratches here. They will not be replacing it for you.

9. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, scratches are a common problem with cases. Dirt always gets trapped and scratches whatever they're trying to protect.

Cases protect more from drops/bumps

Films protect from scratches.

I'd recommend putting on a full body film AND a case.

10. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

I think there are rough edges on the inside also. I cut up a sceening cloth in to two strips and glued them to the inside of the case so as not to scratch it. seems to do the trick. Fits snug too

11. davidwelch78 macrumors newbie

Go to Best Buy and have them put a Zagg Invisible Shield on the sides of the phone. They will do it for free as long as you bought the phone there, OR if you are a Reward Zone member. Which is a free membership.

12. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

Dirt/dust can get under a case no matter what, and people are always so shocked. The bumper doesn't entirely prevent entrance of these particles because of the cutouts and rubber that surrounds it. It's not Apple's fault that a particle of dirt somehow got under the bumper and scratched your phone, so don't even THINK that they'll replace it.

Seriously, it's a scratch. The same thing happened to me. It doesn't affect the experience of the iPhone. You just have to deal with it, as it's pretty much guaranteed that Apple won't do anything for you.

13. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

They aren't gonna replace the phone for that. I had my 3GS in a case from day 1 and the only scratches I ever had on the phone were from the case. It happens. What I want to know is how dust and plastic can scratch stainless steel. Mind boggling....
    Thankfully I saw some of the posts about the bumper scratching phones so I put Lucky Labs decals on the metal band before I put the bumper on.

14. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

Do they do that in Canada too?

15. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

OP, you are the reason I don't want to work in an Apple store.

It is a scratch, not a broken screen, not a busted speaker. The scratch will not affect the performance of your phone.

No offence.

16. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.