Bumper vs Standard vs Rugid - Which to get?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Brimah, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Brimah macrumors newbie

I am looking at what kind of case to get for the iPhone 5. Currently I use a Otterbox Reflex on my 4s, which for the most part I liked it. Sadly, after taking it off, I see that the case itself has damaged my phone, mostly on the metal band.

I am looking to going slimmer as in just a bumper with screen protectors, but want to protect it from 4-5 ft falls onto a hard surface. I tried a defender, but was way to bulky for me, but could tell I would never worry about it being damaged.

What case have you used, what damage still occurred with that case and what drops/incidents did that case save you from?

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Case: none

Damage caused by case: none

Damage caused by drops: none (at least on the 4S)

Cases are a racket.

3. Brimah thread starter macrumors newbie

I was actually thinking of going that route as well. Hear a lot of people saying they go without a case and are happy with it. Do you use screen protectors or not needed as well?

I have a 1 and 2 year old which also makes me worry. Given, I try not to let them play with it, but doesn't always happen that way.

4. panda bear macrumors 68000

panda bear

I use cases, but I prefer my phone without a case.

With that said, I always have to take my case off to put it in my armband when i'm running/riding my bike.

Sometimes I forget to put my case back on after that.. and I drop it, because it easily slips out of my hand sometimes.

Now I have damaged edges on my iPhone 4.

Granted, it's not terrible. You can feel the ruggedness of the edges more than you can see it.

I'd rather just use the case. But in my experience, unless you're doing crazy stuff with your phone, these crazy big cases like the OtterBox, etc are unnecessary.

5. stringbeanie macrumors 6502

I'm not trying to hijack this subject but
    pdot : I had the ruggedness you mentioned on my MacBook air and I took a very fine sandpaper and very gently buffed it out. Now it feels perfect and looks like new. You might give it a try.

My preference for case is minimalist but protective. Bumper is perfect and I'm sad that Apple isn't going to continue to make these. I used the sgp neo for awhile with my ip4 but the headphone jack was puny and I couldn't use most of my headphones. I may try sgp again but this phone is even thinner so I'm scared of the headphone jack again having problems.

6. panda bear macrumors 68000

panda bear

I would, but i'm giving it to someone on Friday when I get my new 5 :p

I'll pass along the information, though, haha

Know any way to get a dent/scratch out of the bottom of a MBA? :p

Also, I have an SGP case on my iPhone 4 right now and there is a teardrop type of hole for the headphones jack. I guess to make room for the mic.

Though, when I try to plug it into the AV dealie in my car, I have to take off the case.