Bumper with Screen protectors

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Uabcar, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Uabcar macrumors 6502

So are any of you having problems with the bumper pulling up the edges of your screen protectors? I’m using one with the Wrapsol original. Below is a quick picture. I let it dry for over a day before putting the bumper on. It’s been nearly 2 days now.

I think I read somewhere that the BSE were doing okay. Is that still true? Any others working out? How about the thinner films – similar to the PS’s- when they come out – are they working better?

Some variables I can think of include: 1. Back cover on/off , 2. side pieces on/off, 3. Bumper color (there was a thread that indicated that the rubber parts of the bumper on the non-black versions had a slightly different consistency to them (slightly less flexible?)

Btw- I’ve got the back cover on.

[​IMG]

2. swiftbmx macrumors regular

My BSE with the Bumper after a day is doing ok. But if I grip the case a certain way, I can see it dig into the skin. It probably won't completely come apart but I imagine after long use it will wear away or peel outwards.

3. thetonyclifton macrumors regular

I am having no problems with the Invisible Shield and bumper.

4. CKtoph macrumors 6502

People have said not to install the sides if you get the full body shields and plan on using a bumper.

Personally, I'm getting the bumper+back protector (BG)+Power Support front.

5. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

I've got the bumper and Zagg IS.

It will do until I can get a Otterbox Commuter case. The bumper seems to want to screw w/ the sides of my IS, but just kinda lift the sides up and over the shield so it rests ON it instead of pushing INTO it.

This will do for now.

6. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

I have a Wrapsol Ultra on with my bumper as well. Mine does not lift up the film at all, BUT this is because right after I put the film on, I put the bumper on as well and worked at the film to get it to line up just right with the bumper edges. Before I did this, it was bubbling up all around just like yours did. So far so good today, but I am waiting on my replacement Wrapsol anyways as my film was junk due to poor packaging.

Oh, and I have the black bumper and no side pieces put on, just front and back.

7. apprunner macrumors regular

I used Zagg IS as well and put the bumper on an hour after installing the IS. Looks great and no lifting on the edges.

8. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

I wanted use a bumper with screen protectors but after reading this thread I'll probably just use BSE for the front, back, and sides with no bumper.

I couldn't handle the shield pulling at the sides of the skin

9. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

I have the Steinheil crystal shields and the bumper fits fine and not causing any issues. In fact, there are a few spots on the edge where the shield didn't adhere well and the bumper covers it up nicely.

10. Uabcar thread starter macrumors 6502

Couple new/addl observations- I just pulled my wrapsol orig screen shield off in an attempt to re-install it - which I did. The first thing I noticed was how easy it pulled off. I've used BSE skins on other devices and they were essentially useless afterward due to the stretching required to get them off. It seems that it's not nearly sticky enough to deal with the bumpers. I expect that explains why some have had decent luck with the BSE skin /bumper combo. I bet the new Ultra version is stickier and therefore may work better with the bumper.

In addition, the rubbery feel of the screen protector sticks to the rubber bumper making the problem worse. My guess is that the PS shields - particularly the HD Anti-Glare, will work much better with the bumper. I’ve got the PS anti-glare on my 3GS and there is no hint of a rubbery feel to it.

11. goldenaustin macrumors member

I installed a Bodygaurdz full body a couple nights ago, and just installed a black bumper this morning. At first I was worried about the edges pulling up, but worked around the edge of the bumper, makeing sure to "unfold" parts that were tucked in. As far as I can tell, there's enough overlap. It's only been about an hour so it hasn't gone through the rigors of my entire day, so I'll repost later tonight.

I'm also wondering if it's better to wait for the skin to "cure" and completely dry out before putting on the bumper. This will ensure that the edges are as tacky as possible to minimize any pulling up as you install the bumper. I noticed the OP's skin looked like it was freshly installed, but other have posted that they did the same with no issue. I guess YMMV.

Oh BTW, I recommend for those with the black bumper, to install the full body skin with sides. There's slight play with my bumper as I've read others have had with the black, and I'm thinking the sides are helping to make it a little more snug.

12. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

My ZAGG is perfect with my bumper. It did sit a week before I could find a bumper though.

13. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I'm having a little bit of an issue with my bumper pushing up my Wrapsol Ultra screen protector (only installed front and back, no sides). I'm too worry about it though since I have Bodyguardz on the way and I think they're thinner than the Ultra. I may end up with PS front and backs once those are out anyway but if I like the Bodyguardz, I'll stick with them I guess.

14. Uabcar thread starter macrumors 6502

I just installed the Zagg. Took off the wrapsol. The Zagg is quite a bit thinner than the wrapsol. I wonder if that will work better with the bumper. The material feels about the same though - in terms of resistance. Looks pretty good so far. I’ll let it dry for a while and try out the bumper.

15. FieldingMellish Suspended

My bumper and skins are happy together. I can slide the phone in a tight pocket and not experience skin roll-off.

16. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Another vote for bumper with InvisibleShield. If I can remember tonight, I'll take a pic of the edges and post here. It looks great, and I don't see any lifting when I squeeze the case.

Seems like with the IS, the bumper covers the edges or gets really close to covering the full edges, so it doesn't seem to be wearing. But, we'll see what happens two months from now. :)

17. falcon26 macrumors member

I just tried putting on the zagg screen protector. And of course I fracked it up. Their goes $15 down the drain. How many screens come with these high end companies? The zagg only had 1. I remember on the 3g most came with at least 2.

18. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Try having the ZAGG done at a mall kiosk or, even better, try Bodyguardz maybe. I got mine on Amazon for $17 and change and that includes 2 sets of full body protection. From what I hear, Bodyguardz are among the best of these skins. Looking forward to getting mine.

19. fastd macrumors member

With the Otterbox, can you still use a front screen protector like the wrapsol ultra?