Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
I just wanted to let you know that apple is swapping bumpers...
STORY: Ok so we bought a green bumper on august second. We started to notice that it was looking dingy, and that the plastic was cracking. Also the rubber was chipping out. it generally looked like crap. I called apple and they said that that is rediculus (especially because it cost 30$) and they said they would swap it for us at the store. So if you bought a bumper you can exchange it :)

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I just wanted to let you know that apple is swapping bumpers...
STORY: Ok so we bought a green bumper on august second. We started to notice that it was looking dingy, and that the plastic was cracking. Also the rubber was chipping out. it generally looked like crap. I called apple and they said that that is rediculus (especially because it cost 30$) and they said they would swap it for us at the store. So if you bought a bumper you can exchange it :)

Of course.. Just like any other apple product it does come with a year warranty. I've had mine replaced several times.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Of course.. Just like any other apple product it does come with a year warranty. I've had mine replaced several times.

I was told by 3 different Apple stores, the bumper does not come with a warranty. They did swap mine though.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto

oh yeah forgot to mention that it does came with a waranty... I just wanted to let those who did not know that.

I was told by 3 different Apple stores, the bumper does not come with a warranty. They did swap mine though.
apple care said that it did...

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
AppleCare does NOT cover bumpers

To be fair, he didn't say AppleCare covered bumpers. Only that AppleCare told him they were covered by a warranty. But that's just my interpretation.

I did a quick search and folks are using this link to demonstrate that accessories are covered by a 1 year warranty. But again, this is subject to interpretation. A quick call would end the speculation.

http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
I think it's one of those "it depends on the person" type of things. Because from experience, it looks like people posting here have had their bumpers switched, but Apple doesn't actually cover them after the 30 day return period (not confirmed yet, but that is what I'm understanding).

movieator

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
I think it's one of those "it depends on the person" type of things. Because from experience, it looks like people posting here have had their bumpers switched, but Apple doesn't actually cover them after the 30 day return period (not confirmed yet, but that is what I'm understanding).
It's probably technically not covered, but I bet you they don't care enough about a cheap piece of rubber they charge $30 for to make any stink about swapping them out.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
It's probably technically not covered, but I bet you they don't care enough about a cheap piece of rubber they charge $30 for to make any stink about swapping them out.

Excellently put. The $30 price tag probably covers so many switches that they don't really care about swapping it out.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
Excellently put. The $30 price tag probably covers so many switches that they don't really care about swapping it out.
yeah, but it is covered
Yeah they make a lot of money plus apple is known for its customer care
I am not so sure, because several apple employees said that they would swap it because it should not look like that

To be fair, he didn't say AppleCare covered bumpers. Only that AppleCare told him they were covered by a warranty. But that's just my interpretation.
thats what i ment

I did a quick search and folks are using this link to demonstrate that accessories are covered by a 1 year warranty. But again, this is subject to interpretation. A quick call would end the speculation.

http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/
yeah, that what I figured especaily because some of there accesories are around 50$ and the AE is 100 so yeah....

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
I have a genius bar appointment later today for my iPod touch. I'll drop this question on them and see what they tell me.

UPDATE: I just asked at my local Apple store and they told me a one year warranty on "stuff like that".

Last edited:

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
I have a genius bar appointment later today for my iPod touch. I'll drop this question on them and see what they tell me.

UPDATE: I just asked at my local Apple store and they told me a one year warranty on "stuff like that".

see told you :D lol why did you take your iTouch in?>

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
Yup, you were right. I took it in because it was having battery drainage issues. The genius checked the battery, and then went in the back to get a new one. It all went smoothly.

my iTouch 4g has the screen issue. gotta get around to bringing it in.

END THREAD :)

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
When I took my third failed iPhone in to Apple, the genius confirmed the button had stopped working.

Upon emerging from the genius cave, in the rear of the store he had two boxes in hand. One with a new phone & one with a new bumper.

A nice surprise considering I only reported the phone being dead.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
When I took my third failed iPhone in to Apple, the genius confirmed the button had stopped working.

Upon emerging from the genius cave, in the rear of the store he had two boxes in hand. One with a new phone & one with a new bumper.

A nice surprise considering I only reported the phone being dead.

apple had had great customer service :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.