bumpers are underrated

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by aliensarecool, Aug 19, 2012.

1. aliensarecool macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

Ive used nothing but bumpers since launch. They keep both sides off surfsces and I have 0 scratches. Also ive dropped it quite a few times and no crack. They have grip but aren't hard to slide out of pocket, and most importantly I get to show off the iphones sexy aesthetics.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I tried a bumper and didn't care for it
    I keep my iPhone 4s naked without any issues and prefer it that way

3. aliensarecool thread starter macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

4. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

To each his own.
    But I would say that a bumper does nothing but cover up, the sexy aesthetics

5. aliensarecool thread starter macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

I meant vs a full case

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

I like my cases thank you! never really liked the bumpers but glad you like them.

7. Smileyboy macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

Love my cases too. Every once a while I have to go back to the bumper, they feel so nice.

8. SmackTom.com macrumors newbie

Bumpers are great if you want to protect your phone yet not lose the sleek look of it. They also don't add much weight to your phone compared to full body cases.

9. calvy macrumors 65816

I used to use a bumper because I hate most bulky cases and felt the bumper gave me good drop protection while being kind of minmalist. Then one day I dropped my phone getting out of my car for work. It fell maybe 2 ft onto the concrete parking garage floor, face down, and cracked. Bumper did nothing.

So I'm back to going naked. I sometimes use another bumper style case now, when I am mowing the lawn or running. But I don't have all that much confidence it's really saving me from disaster anymore.

10. lowbelly macrumors member

I've got a bumper, and i've got 2 scratches on my screen. Not the bumper's fault, looking forward to that stronger iPhone 5 though.

11. brianbunge macrumors 6502

brianbunge

Are thare any bumpers that are more of a hard plastic instead of rubbery on the edges? I love using a black bumper on my white iPhone but the rubbery part makes it tough to get out of my pocket when I'm sitting down.

12. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Bumper is minimal and adds protection. Actually its better than some of these cases which look cheap, serve no function and add little protection.
    Don't get me wrong there are a few (very few) that are cool looking and seriously functional
    Why take a beautiful phone and hide its sleekness behind garbage

13. jaysen macrumors 6502

When I was in the Apple store the other day, I checked out some of the Apple branded bumpers and I must say they were appealing. I picked up a bookbook, but will most likely pick up a bumper eventually.

14. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

How are you enjoying the book book? I've been interested in getting one.

15. jaysen macrumors 6502

To be quite honest I was totally stoked and extremely happy with it my first 24 hours. At least for me, when I really started using the phone - texting, pics, calls, etc - it became a hassle. I don't use an earpiece so phone calls were a little awkward, as I am not used to placing them on speaker. Texting although still very possible, was an inconvenience because i had to hold the case with one hand to prevent damage to the spine (personal choice).

Taking pictures, as you may already know, is non existent unless you mod the case.

I'm considering returning now and getting something else. It is truly a beautiful case, but for my use, it just does not fit me - to each their own. I bought it to hold a couple credit cards and door access card while at work so i can leave my wallet in my locker however i use my phone all too much at work to be convenient.

16. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

Your situation is the exact reason why I haven't pulled the trigger and made the purchase. I use my phone a lot, and I feel it might start to turn into a hassle. It does look like a beautiful case though, and when I see people using one, I tend to wish I owned one... But at the end of the day, I'm in a similar situation as yourself, and I know that after a week or two of using it, I'll want to take it off. I also use the camera a lot, and that's another drawback.

17. jaysen macrumors 6502

Yep, save yourself the hassle of having to return later. I am truly bummed that this won't work for me. It looks like I'm back to searching for the "ultimate" case haha. But in the meantime I might snag me a bumper ;)

18. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

Haha yeah I'm still looking for that "ultimate" case as well... The Sena Ultraslim pouch, and the Mophie Juice pack air have been a couple of my go-to options over the past couple of months.

I actually threw on my orange bumper that I purchased a long time ago, and I've been enjoying it this past week. Gives the phone a little extra grip, while still showing off the beauty of the phone. I wanted to pick up the new red one, but with the new iPhone coming out soon, I'm not sure if it would be worth it... As I already have a bumper.

19. amymany macrumors member

i just afraid the bumper can't protect my iphone well, so i used the otterbox, i am looking for a new case but haven't dicide which kind to choose.

20. aliensarecool thread starter macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

i feel you. i remember one passed phones i've had i had cases make completely outta silicone...now those were a b****

21. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Bumpers (at least Apple's) are overpriced. Also, they can scratch up the antenna band over time if you don't keep a keen eye out for dust getting on the inner side.

22. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

All cases are overpriced... $20 + for molded plastic. It's a joke...

23. jaysen macrumors 6502

Agreed.

Spent $14 an an elago slim fit which I think is ridiculous for the amount of plastic, or lack thereof!

24. Prototypical macrumors 6502

Prototypical

Magpuls are like $10 if you can find one locally. Shipping sucks though.

25. amymany macrumors member

yes, it a litter bit expensive!