Bumpers Designed because they had to?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gazzzmoly, Jun 25, 2010.

1. gazzzmoly macrumors regular

So i was wondering do you think that Apple Knew that the aerial problem existed for a while but had invested so much money on it that they couldn't go back? i mean is it a coincidence that they have never made a case for the iphone before, but now 1 is needed to fix the arial problem, is it also a coincidence that it just so happens to go around "the steel aerials" and not the entire phone like all past cases?

just a few thoughts! what about yours?

2. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Kinda agree. Easier to design a bumper then to re-design the whole phone.

3. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

use the search bar
    oh, yes i do think Apple knew

4. boatski macrumors regular

5. JonnyIreland macrumors 6502a

JonnyIreland

I was saying this earlier in another thread -it is quite the coincidence how they suddenly decided to venture into the realm of producing a "case", a case which in fact is barely a case at all!

6. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

The Apple Store rep that sold me my iPhone 4 was pretty desperate to sell me the bumper. Even said to get one today as they would run out fast.

He didn't even bother mentioning any other peripherals. Sure does look a little fishy.

7. puggles macrumors regular

Or maybe apple is proud of their design and wanted to give people an option to show off their phone while still protecting it.

8. gazzzmoly thread starter macrumors regular

With the case on you cant really tell its an iphone 4.

i think they are chancing it. i also think that it is good marketing, and if push comes to shove i think they will just give them away like nintendo did with wiimote jackets. but how much do you think they will make until then at £29 each lol probably only cost a few pence to make..... thats why apple are worth so much bumpers lol

9. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Some on Youtube believe that apple knew, but? The bumper cases should be free. I hear that in the UK they are free.

10. bentrider macrumors member

I don't think it's a conspiracy. I think it's just to try and get back some profit on the phone.

Recumbent bicycle manufacturers do this sort of thing all the time. There's very little profit margin in the bike itself so they try very hard to sell you a $120 seat bag that costs $12 to make.

11. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No. Obviously no.

Any case will alleviate the reception issue. There is nothing special about the bumpers in that regard vs. a $2 eBay case.

Apple designed the bumpers because they use 90% less rubber and there are enough sheep out there that will pay $30 for them to make them a lucrative cash crop. Bumpers are about harvesting free cash. Nothing else.

Did you notice how Apple was not selling any other brand of case @ launch other than their own bumpers? BB had their own brand, Frogz, Belkin, and Griffin cases. ATT had Frogz, and Speck.

12. smartboy87 macrumors newbie

u r rite...apple reps gave bumper to my friend for free...

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Of course not. If they knew ahead of time then they would have been passing out bumpers for free at the stores and praying to god that everyone used them.

This clearly caught them by surprise.