Bumpers don't fix signal issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by corriewf, Jun 24, 2010.

1. corriewf macrumors 6502a

You know the antenna issue a lot of people are having? Well got two phones that both do it and the bumpers don't stop it from happening. I don't understand how the bumper doesn't prevent the short out or whatever is happening. The ONLY thing I can say is that it doesn't seem to totally lose all signal with the bumper, but it drops to maybe 1 bar or 2 tops.

2. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

This is OK by me, I just don't want my calls and data to DROP to no service. I can pretty much confirm with my wife's 3GS that most times I grip the phone it drops one or two bars.

3. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

This happened on a 3GS?

4. jdwebby macrumors newbie

5. iPadztr macrumors 6502

Just noticed when in landscape mode, signal or bar doesn't drop at all even covering it with my hands....

6. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Solves the problem on mine.

7. richard371 macrumors 68000

The bumpers will help the skin bridging the 2 antenas but you hand still causes the signal to drop like on many phones. everytime I pick up my Bold 9700 the signal drops from 5 to 1 or 2 bars but then goes back up. I guess the DSP compensates. Hopefully Apple can fix this.

8. quid squid macrumors regular

just like using the Magic Mouse, I just learned to hold the phone differently.

9. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Fun times. Good thing about all this, Apple won't be able to ignore it. That's for sure. It's all over the place.

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

funny thing about the human body. It screws with RF very well. You do not have to touch it to effect the RF out there.

For example we had an old TV that had issues in reception. Just so much as walking around the would effect reception and how clear it was based where you were and position. I will say it made it a big pain to tune the antenna because it would look fine while we were moving things and right at the TV but it would be screwed up when we got back to our chair. That or move from one point to another in the room it got messed up. Or some one else came in and joined in watching TV.

Just making a point that you do not have to touch it to effect the signal.

11. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

x2

12. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

i used my little bean bag holder thingy to hold the phone on the left corner and it did not cut off signal like my bare hand does....

13. stphnman20 macrumors regular

Just gotta play hot potato with the phone. Thats all. :p

14. wardev macrumors regular

happens on every phone, the iphone 4 just seems to be an extreme example.

15. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

Never had this happen before for me with any phone. Wierd.

16. xmarcuswildx macrumors 6502

It really is a non issue..my phone drops to zero bars, but I never lose calls or data speeds.. Seems to me like a display error that software can fix.. I could be wrong but so far I have had no issues with dropped calls and such sounds like a software problem.

17. Vinom macrumors member

Here is what's going to happen...

Yes, placing your hand in different positions on the phone DOES affect the signal. Go figure! You mean to tell me that Apple doesn't have engineers smart enough to create adaptive radio waves that transmit through the human body as well as they do through air? What the hell is going on in Cupertino???

There is probably some cause for pause with this issue, but less than the little bars reflect.

YOUR whining will force Apple to update the software and dumb it down so that you can feel good about having "more bars in more places" too.

Congratulations! iOS4.0.1 will not replace the hardware, but I can guarantee you the all the whiners will certainly have more bars (like the rest of us) so that we can feel better about our super-phone, and not lust after the EVO, which always has not five, but six bars, even on the moon when encased in a lead box.

On a COMPLETELY unrelated note, I had a 19 minute phone call today, in my metal car, on the AT&T network, while holding my iPhone 4 in my left hand (because I was using my right hand to drive)… Guess what? The call didn't drop. Now I wasn't actually checking to see how many bars I had along the way so I could log them on Gizmodo's site, but somehow, it was just enough to get me to where I wanted to be.

Crazy, Right?

18. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

this happens on my iphone 2g, it happens on nokia and google phones also.