Bumping into Mac Pro causes it to freeze or black screen

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by pfleischman, Oct 27, 2008.

1. pfleischman macrumors member

Hey I did some searching around other forums and for the most part it has to do with a loose connection. I've reseated memory and my hard drive, but still if I bump it freezes or black screens. I'm going to pickup an external hard drive to backup my data, because this is scaring the crap out of me!

Any ideas?

2. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

Sounds like a hard drive issue. Try pulling out the hard disk(s) (crank the latch up on the back all the way), and re-seating them. Make sure they're not wiggling around when you put them in. Also make sure that the connections- both on the hard drive, and the motherboard- aren't worn down or anything.

Also take a look at the video card. Try removing it, and then re-seating it. Lastly, make sure the VGA/DVI is plugged in very firmly (no wiggling).

3. pfleischman thread starter macrumors member

I'm definatly going to do that when I get back home. It is really random. If I take it to the applestore will they make me take out my OWC memory before they will trouble shoot it?

4. dap1215 macrumors regular

It defiantly sounds like something is not seated correctly.. Check everything. RAM, HD, vid card..

5. grue macrumors 65816

"Doc, it hurts when I poke myself in the eye"

"Don't poke yourself in the eye"

:D

But in all seriousness, check everything carefully