Carrier Bumping up ATT upgrade eligibility

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jessem1133, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Jessem1133 macrumors 6502

My wife's iphone just broke, and her eligibility isn't available for another month. If she gets it fixed, she isn't going to want to buy a new phone in 30 days. Any hints on getting ATT to move her upgrade date up?

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

Try begging and pleading, but I suspect they'll just stick to their guns of charging the early upgrade fee. But who knows, maybe you'll get lucky. :D

I expect they'll offer getting a phone on Next, but that's not a wise choice unless you were planning to get off of a contract subsidy plan anyway. (though it might be a good impetus to do that analysis to see if Mobile Share is a better choice vs. your current plan -- depends on several factors specific to your usage and future plans so you'll need to consider your specifics vs. any generalizations suggesting which path is better)

You mention that repairing her current phone would induce her to keep it. Why is that? Wouldn't she have already traded in or sold her old phone? With a busted phone that value is lost, doing a repair merely recoups that value -- and whatever the difference is beyond repair cost and what you get on trade-in or resale is the price of having a phone for the month. Still probably far less than the early upgrade fee.

Another thought - pick up a basic go-phone and put it on the line until she can upgrade.

EDIT: have you considered trying out T-mobile?

3. ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

ssl0408

Call AT&T and ask to speak to the retentions department. They're able to move up your upgrade date, but they will probably insist that you place the order through them. They moved mine up by a year so I know it can be done. Good luck

4. Jessem1133 thread starter macrumors 6502

5. runtohell121 macrumors 6502

AT&T retention will sure let you upgrade.. but just be ready to wait a long time until the iPhone 6 Plus ships... The regular iPhone 6 might ship faster.

6. Jessem1133 thread starter macrumors 6502

After speaking to a couple different reps, I was able to get my upgrade eligibility moved up a month to Nov. 1st. Not best case scenario, but better than the end of November. Thanks for the tips guys.

7. runtohell121 macrumors 6502

If you were speaking to retention.. you would have been able to upgrade right away through them... My upgrade got moved up by ~3 months lol (ordered on 9/26, actual upgrade date is 12/22)

8. ScottJ macrumors regular

He may actually get an iPhone 6 or 6+ quicker the way they did it. Now, he'll be able to order online for Apple store pickup!

9. runtohell121 macrumors 6502

That's true... Waiting for AT&T to ship is taking forever...

10. ScottJ macrumors regular

I got my iPhone 6 from AT&T through the retention department relatively quickly (original shipping window of 10/9 - 10/20, received 10/7). However, if I'd been able to move up my eligibility from the end of October to 10/1, I would have been able to get one through online order pickup almost a week earlier. Oh, well: hindsight is 20:20. Something to keep in mind for next time...

11. mhdena macrumors 6502

Got an iphone 5 this time last year, got an early upgrade 12 months early for the 6, had to order it from the AT&T mother-ship, delivery window was 10/20- 11/7. Got notice yesterday phone was coming today!

Just finished syncing, on my way to the AT&T store to get my $200 card;)

12. turbocamel macrumors member

What to say?

I was out of the country when the Iphone 5 came out, so didn't get to purchase till 12/18/2012... It hasn't been fun to wait for eligibility in december to finally order a phone. Especially with the availability of the 6+ 64gb SG the way it is.

What do you say to the reps to get this to go through?

I've been with att for over 10 years now and would like to get back on the September/October Iphone upgrade cycle again.

I'm still on a Unlimited plan with my wife on the 2gb plan. I don't intend on moving to a NeXt or Mobile share plan.

13. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

My eligibility upgrade date is 1/1/15, I'm hoping I can bump it to early December.

14. Slickademo macrumors newbie

Buy a cheap go-phone from radio shack. Put your sim card in it. Use go-phone until upgrade.

15. turbocamel macrumors member

How does that move up the upgrade eligibility date from Att?

16. Slickademo macrumors newbie

It doesn't change eligibility. It gives you a cheap and extremely cost effective working phone that works in the mean time until your eligible.

17. normanfox macrumors 6502a

I hear you. my contract was off a few weeks and I can't preorder like many people. I was able to get AT&T to move up two weeks to 9/19.

one idea is that you can add a new line and get a new iphone with contact date today. then cancel the other line later when its contract ends in Dec. you might have to port swap/port numbers to get your old number back.

anyone tried this?

edit: this might not work for your unlimited data line since you will lose unlimited. you can try it on your wife line. also getting a 6/6 plus is not easy as stock is drying up.

18. turbocamel macrumors member

I spoke to att retentions. She offered me to add a line and then take that upgrade and give to my wife. And put a cheapo phone on that line. So it's only $10 more and I have an upgrade pending in December.

She could also override my upgrade eligibility and place an order from them. So I could order a new iPhone directly from them today! But she couldn't end my contract so I could get it from another provider target. Best buy. Att store. Apple store.

But their ship dates are ridiculous through att.

All iphone 6+ 64gb 28-35 days.
    All Iphone6 + are 28-35 days

Iphone 6 64gb sg 21-35 days
    Iphone6 64gb Silver and gold 14-21 days

Iphone 6 128gb Silver gold 3-5 days
    Iphone 6 128gb sg 7-14 days

19. sullez macrumors 6502

What did you decide to do.

20. iApplez macrumors newbie

It's been only 7 months since I bought 5s and I just called and asked if they can remove early upgrade fee to switch to 6plus. And they removed it for me.(I had to talked to two people.) Since I'm using 10gb share value plan with my family, it was better to go with their NEXT plan. Don't tell them her phone is broken. Just tell them you want to upgrade to an iPhone 6.

21. turbocamel macrumors member

Ask the wife which phone she wants, then go from there. Might add a line, and pick up a phone in locally. that way her December contract will be up and upgrade waiting for me for next year at iPhone 6s time.

And probably override eligibility and order the iPhone 6+Sg 64gb for myself.

22. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

anyone have success getting 1year earlier upgrade who was on a legacy plan aka NOT next or mobile share?

23. turbocamel macrumors member

Did you have to order from them? Was it the retentions dept?

I still feel screwy about the next plans. It would jump my bill up 60/month. X12 months =720$. Might as well buy the 400$+300$ phone now and sell them next year as opposed to turn it in for nothing with Next.

----------

My upgrade date is 12/18/2014. And I spoke to them today and they were OK with it, if I ordered from them. But that's only 2 months ahead.

24. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

hmm i wonder if its because you switched to next. I ordered two through att and one through apple. We were turned down to remove the early upgrade charge when we got the a 5 two years ago. Still for 3 phones its quite a bit of money so we may try again..i suppose I will have to threaten to leave lol.