Bunch of Macbook ?'s

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Links84, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Links84 macrumors newbie

Links84

Hi,

I moved from PC to MAC because I'm fed with Windows..... Now, I'm going to use mac for the first time soon. I just got the MacBook for $100 because some guy said it's broken and took all the parts off. So, I fixed all the parts together and needed the new logic board (Which I'm getting next month).

Few question to ask:

1) When you open the MacBook, you'll noticed the frame thing on the left side (the one with claws), What are they called? because I see it's damaged and needs to repair.

2) I don't know what version I have. Here's the seriel number W873015UYA8.

3) Which MacBook mag safe adapter should I get? I seen many have different numbers like 60 or 80.

And last:

4) Where is the best placer to get RAMs and Harddrive for good price? :)

Thanks for your help!

2. Uoila macrumors member

1. I couldn't tell you, please post pictures.

2. http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

3. It is my understanding that the 60W magsafe adapters are for macbooks and the bigger 80W are for bigger macbook pros. You can use the 80W on the regular macbook but not the other way around (don't use 60W on a MBP)

4. newegg.com

3. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

1. This is the I/O frame - it is very thin and bends out of shape easily. You can probably get it back into shape with a bit of bending. It sits on top of the input/output ports. I suspect you could live without some of it.....

5. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

if you dont mind asking...when all done and fixed, about how much will it be costing you?
    i know of a lot who do this, (buying broken, fixing, saving lots of $$$) but some people end up going crazy.

just curious

6. asme macrumors regular

Ooo, I like Macsales already.

An Apple-centric website that doesn't jack up memory prices!

Plus they have a 2+1GB kit on the cheap, which is nice.

7. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

i got a mbp one for 99$ and i think its better since the 65w was 99 as well so get the 85w and for ram netwegg or somthing but i usually get from ebay

8. Links84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Links84

:d

Thanks for the answer.

Yes, it's the I/O frame but is there a replacement for it? Because I'm worried if I can easily break it if I try to fix it.

I check my version of MacBook and I don't know which "M" model I have because it said:

Name: MacBook (Late 2006)
    Model: Mxxxx MacBook (White) 2.16GHz
    Bus speed: 667MHz
    Screen size: 13 inch
    Screen resolution: 1280x800 pixels

Also, I took it to the apple store and they said it's "Mid 2007". What the heck?

Oh for buying the hard drive. Which company it good? Toshiba or others?

Thanks!

P.S. Why does some model have Santa Rosa and other does not. What does Santa Rosa do anyway. Just curious.

9. Uoila macrumors member

minor things.

Santa rosa is an architecture name. "santa rosa" macbook basically means that it includes a fully 64 bit chipset including a 64b memory controller so it can address a full 4G of ram+. Santa Rosa also bumps the bus speed up to 800mhz, and SR models also come with X3100 intel graphics.

10. steinlager macrumors regular

Yours looks to be a mid2006. 2007s already have 2.0 and 2.2GHz CPU options, to my understanding.

11. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Apple Store is right - mid 2007 - 2.16 Ghz should have superdrive - blue tape on the dvd drive ? Matshita 857C ?

http://www.apple-history.com/?page=gallery&model=mb

The I/O frame should be ok once it is back in the machine - it should flatten out nicely and no-one is going to see it.

I would recommend Western Digital SATA drives.

12. logana macrumors 65816

logana

13. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Good luck with the rebuild. I've found it's sometimes just cheaper to by one outright. You spend more money in parts trying to get it all together than if you just bought a new one. (Depending on the repair involved.)

I managed to get two for $1400 on eBay that were damaged. One had a broken LCD, and one had a dead logicboard. I swapped the good LCD from one to the other and ended up with one perfectly working machine. I then took all the leftover parts (housing, adaptor, RAM, hdd, Superdrive, etc) and sold them all back up on eBay. After all was said and done I had a base model MacBook with and extra battery, and scored a RAM and hard drive upgrade in the process. It's a first gen MacBook. Based on the old prices, (it was a year ago) I ended up with a $1400 MacBook for probably $800. So I think that was a pretty good deal. And it's still going strong.

14. Links84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Links84

I have one last question to ask.

Since I Have 2.16ghz water-spilled logicboard, which needs to be replaced.

However, would 2.0ghz work for my macbook? Or do I have to have 2.16ghz for it to run?

Thanks! :D

PS: Which logicboard do you recommend for me to get? Judging what kind of macbook I have.

15. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

well i would think so myself does it have its own chip or are u putting the old one in the 2.0 ? reguardless it wil work if its the same socket i belive not 100% sure

16. Links84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Links84

Well I wanted to replace the logic board. The one that is not working is 2.16ghz. If I find the working logic board from eBay which is 2.0ghz.

Would that work on my Macbook 13"?

17. logana macrumors 65816

logana

MacBooks don't have sockets - the processor is soldered to the motherboard - so swapping processors is not recommended !!! The lack of a socket saves space (height).

I know you have not finished rebuilding it yet but is there any obvious liquid damage to the board - it is not unusual for everything to work fine once everything has had a chance to dry out properly - sometimes luck helps too.

I would rebuild it (assuming no apparent liquid damage) and give it a go - you have nothing to lose.

As far as I am aware the Core Duo and Core Duo 2 logicboards are all physically the same size - the only problem is the assortment of different heat-sensor plugs and sockets on the heat-sink board that have been used at different times (horizontal/vertical/black/white). So yes you could get a 2.0MHz board - just make sure the heatsink is the correct type and thickness and with the correct plugs.

18. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

I WOULDnt know since ive never done anything inside of my macbook

19. eman macrumors 6502a

This is correct. There are two different heat sinks connectors used on the macbooks 1.83 - 2.16 and they are not interchangeable. The 2.16 heat sink has a smaller connector. If you buy a logic board with the same heat sink connector, everything else is interchangeable.