Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Caezar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
The other day, I had to send 30 pics to my niece by email. I tried to find a piece of freeware to compress and bundle the pics into one single file, but I could not find anything.

I ended up having to attach the 20 pics one by one into 3 separate emails, which is very tedious and dumb.

Is there a better way to bundle files into a file/folder that can be emailed through hotmail/yahoo/gmail? I do not care so much about the compression. What I need is simply to package all the files together.

Unorthodox

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2006
Not at the beach...
Mac OS X has this capability built in.

Put all of the files/folders you want to send in a single folder.
Right click/control click on the folder, select "Create Archive of folders name".
Presto.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Just select all the files you want to send (in your case the pictures); Right Click when they are all selected: Create Archive

Unorthodox beat me to it!

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
The only problem is, many email servers are now set to destroy zip files. Or at least block them.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I wonder if changing the suffix to TXT or DOC and telling the recipient to change it back to ZIP would bypass this... I dunno. I've never had a problem with it.

Case-sensitive

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2006
I wonder if changing the suffix to TXT or DOC and telling the recipient to change it back to ZIP would bypass this... I dunno. I've never had a problem with it.

I would think that would do it, or just remove the extension all-together.

Changing the zip to .txt works fine as long as the person downloading specifies the change back to .zip. For some reason .doc doesn't work (at least not for me).

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
That's because doc is probably also blocked by many. That should work, it just means you have to have another savvy user on the other end. Also not always the case.

nrgemily

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2011
attach number files to email

I can never add "Numbers" files to my email, only excel (for mac). It says you may not add bundle files. Any suggestions? I tried to right click archive and the option does not appear. What am I doing wrong?

steveoc

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2007
Adirondacks NY
I have no problem attaching Numbers files to the Mac Mail (Numbers 09, Mail 4.5, OSX 10.6.7) myself. Are you using the standard Mac Mail client?

When I right click on a Numbers file, I select Compress and it zips it up just fine. Does compress appear as an option when you right click on the Numbers file? If so, that's the option you're looking for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.