Bundled Softare for macs-quick and easy question!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aarongobo, Aug 7, 2007.

1. aarongobo macrumors newbie

Hi--

I was wondering about the bundled software with the intel macs... HYPOTHETICALLY... would it be possible to buy a mac mini with leopard and iLife '08 and use the bundled CDs to install either/both applications/OS's to a powerbook G4 12"? I am just wondering about if there are seperate CD/DVDs for intel vs G4/Power PCs, because if there's not I can't find a reason why that shouldn't work.

Thanks,
    Aaron

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The bundled OS disks for intels absolutely will not work on Power PCs.

And in any case, it is against the license to install the OS disks on more than the machine it was bundled with. The bundled iLife probably has the same restriction.

3. dr_lha macrumors 68000

OS install disks that come with Apple computers are linked to the model they came with. Even forgetting the Intel/PPC issues, I can tell you that OS install disks for an iBook G4 or example, will not work on an Powerbook G4. I know I tried, it comes up with an error if you attempt it. FYI I needed to do a reinstall and my Tiger install disks were not around, my wife's iBook OS disk was, installing Mac OS X without a license for that machine would of course be illegal.

4. aarongobo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks for the quick responses. But... what about iLife '08? Would that work... it seems to me it would.