Bundled Software

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mBox, Jun 3, 2010.

1. mBox macrumors 68020

Just inherited a MacBook Pro 5, 1 (late 2008 model).
    Its a 15' Uni, still runs great :)
    However, I wiped out the drive (updated to SL) and everything on it to start a fresh SL install. Not realising that I had to also install the bundled software.
    I tried to use a recent MBP 17" Uni software disc and no good.
    I got a hold of the original Install disc for this MBP but it has Tiger on it.
    Ive tried everything and I cant seem to get the original bundled software on it.
    I honestly just want Garage Band on this.
    Any tips?
    I could wipe it down to Tiger and move my way up to SL but Ive installed everything but the kitchen sink (in apps) on this baby and dont want to relive that hell again :)

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You need the iLife disk, i.e. the second install disk that came with that Mac.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Restore discs only work for the exact model they shipped with, so this is no surprise.

If you're using a disc that has Tiger on it, it's not the original install disc for a 2008 MBP.

4. mBox thread starter macrumors 68020

You are correct. This is what happens when you buy the damn thing and just hand off to your boss :)
    He swears this was the disc for that computer but the date on the install disc was off by a year (2007).
    Thanks folks, I guess its either purchase iLife or find them discs :)
    Since my time is worth money I guess iLife purchase :p

5. mBox thread starter macrumors 68020

yes that I know and sadly it has to be the right one for this computer. Ive tried the secondary install disc from MacPros to recent MacBook Pros. I have one for the 2009 Uni 17" that came just after the 15". Once I locate Ill give that a try before buying iLife :)

Thanks all for helping!!

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can ask Apple to send you the install disks. That way, it'll be cheaper as Apple charges like 20$ for that

7. mBox thread starter macrumors 68020

good idea ;) thanks!!

8. mBox thread starter macrumors 68020

hey thanks again, their sending it for free :)
    I can use that $20 towards my next purchase from Apple...soon I hope, their sure holding on to that MacPro update long :p
    LOL!