Bungie easter eggs

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by lamina, Sep 21, 2010.

1. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

I like easter eggs.

Bungie has a lot of them, especially sneaking and integrating the number 7 into the content of the Halo series. If you've finished Halo: Reach, you know what I'm talking about.

I was playing around in Forge today and I dropped a soccer ball. I could see it had a barcode with numbers on it. Here are the numbers:

Could be something, could be nothing. Let's discuss easter eggs in the Halo series here.

2. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

Where to start with them, they have so many...

Reach
    • If you hold the right-stick to the right during the final cut scene in Reach, you get to see a familiar someone.
    • A secret switch opens up during the Package mission in Reach, and you can access a certain room that is normally only viewed in a cutscene.
    • If you hit a hidden switch before accessing the second signal jammer on the 8th mission, you can return to the "Nightclub" and find the Grunts and Hunters dancing, with a Brute acting as DJ.
    • At the very beginning of the game, when you first exit the Falcon on the level Winter Contingency, if you run quickly down the hill to the distress beacon, you can find an invisible Elite running away with one of the hidden Data Pads.

ODST
    • You can fly a Banshee to a certain spot in the level Kikowani Station in ODST and see Marty O'Donnell, the audio composer, dancing.
    • If you have the Grunt Birthday Party skull turned on in ODST, when you shoot a Grunt in the head, it will explode into confetti. If you look through this confetti in theater mode, you will see the original design sketches for the Grunts.
    • Some of the cars you find on the streets in ODST have the number 117 on their license plates, obviously referencing Master Chief (John, Spartan 117)
    • Watching the final cut scene when played on Legendary difficulty, if you hold left with the right-stick, you will see Buck and a returning hidden guest.

Halo 3
    • On the first level, Sierra 117, you can find a cave with some strange monkey-men, with one of them holding a teddy bear. This is the same monkey-man who Buck is interacting with in the hidden part of the ending of ODST.
    • On the level Crow's Nest, if you follow the corridors down a dead end, you will find a Marine standing outside a door having a funny conversation with the person on the other side. This is actually the guys from Red vs Blue doing the dialogue.
    • Over time, the ground in the multiplayer level Isolation will get more Flood infected. Watch the ground closely in fast forward in theater mode, and you will see it.
    • In the Custom Games section, if you set the player damage to 0%, it will pop up the note saying "Players do no damage, and can only stare and think bad thoughts" or something like that.
    • On the level Sandtrap, if you manage to get the Elephant vehicle upside down, when you walk up to it, it will give the message "Hold RB to flip... wait, what? How did you do that??".

There are a ton more that I can't think of right off the top of my head as well. Lots of funny dialogue, hidden images, and things like that. You're right, the Bungie folks sure do love to sneak a ton of stuff into their games.