Bungie to ditch Microsoft?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by sammich, Oct 2, 2007.

1. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Don't know how credible this news may be, but if it were true I totally support Bungie! It's time they get back to their roots...making games for the Mac first!

Linky

How exactly does a subsidiary 'ditch' their parent company exactly?

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Disband and form a new studio, a la Free Radical and Rare?

Even so, it's very interesting if true. Halo is huge for Microsoft after all.

3. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

The only thing that could happen from this is some of the Bungie staffers leave and form their own company.

Otherwise - no, Bungie is not leaving; they are owned by Microsoft. It's not like they can just up and leave when Microsoft owns the company, the properties, buildings, computers, etc. and sends out the paychecks.

4. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

but it's not like it would be hard for the Bungie guys to find financial backing from say.....Sony or Activision or EA or whoever

5. Fast Shadow macrumors 6502a

Maybe I'm missing something, but why not simply expand Bungie? Make a Halo Division of the company that does nothing but - There are armies of talented programmers and artists out there who would love to get in on that. Meanwhile, the veterans who've created previous Halo games and are getting burned out would be able to pursue new projects within Bungie.

Or is that just too logical?

6. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

...but I thought Microsoft was the only company throwing money around? :D Surely you jest...

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

MS is not really worrying about it...the Halo franchise is still theres so if the staff at bungie want to disband then I don't think MS is that hard press to keep them.

Bless

8. jdechko macrumors 68040

You mean other than the fact that Marathon is widely considered to be a great game, and it's the predecessor to Halo which added in the wild popularity, and their next series could be bigger than both... ;)

I have no doubt that if Bungie, as it were, disbanded and formed a new studio, they'd be largely successful.

9. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

its not that Sony would buy them like MS bought them but if ex-Bungie dudes (providing they left MS) were starting a project it wouldn't be hard for them to find a publisher.