Burgundy Incase Sleeve Stains?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Andrew D., May 10, 2007.

1. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

So I was able to purchase the burgunday incase sleeve just like this one here for half price off of craigslist. It hasn't arrived yet but I heard somewhere that the burgunday ones stain white MacBooks? I was wondering if it's true or not or if anyone knows anything about this? I don't want to put my new MacBook into a death wish case if that is what's going to happen. Thanks everyone!

2. finger11 macrumors member

likely not what you want to hear

but the majority of reviews at the apple store (the same link you supplied) report this 'staining'. Maybe you already saw this and were hoping for success stories but I wouldn't really risk it.

3. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Never heard that before, but it could be true....

I have a Black/Lime Green one for my MacBook Pro, No staining for me. (If that helps any_

4. bluush macrumors 6502

I've heard from quite a few sources (apple.com included) that the dye from the $29.99 sleeves will stain the white Macbook. This is likely due to the material used, which almost feels like silk mixed with rubber. It's soft, but it'll rub the color into your notebook. However, I bought the $49.99 Incase (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=9EC214BC&nplm=TJ700LL/A) because the reviews for it are all great - one of the few cases with a full 5 star rating. Yes, it's a little more expensive, but it is very worth it. The inside has a very soft fabric much like the inside of a high quality guitar case.

5. Helianthus macrumors member

I have the black sleeve with the inner green lining.

Whatever you do, don't get the black version of the bag bluush suggested. It will leave grey stains all over your macbook.

6. bluush macrumors 6502

Yeah, I can't vouch for the black bag. I don't know.. I'm of the mindset that if you have a Blackbook, get something with a dark lining, and if you have a white Macbook get something with a light lining. The 49.99 bag has a lining that doesn't "rub" the Macbook like the 29.99 one does, which is probably why the cheaper one has so many complaints.

7. Andrew D. thread starter macrumors 6502

So I guess the best bet is to get a hard case and cover the MacBook then place it in any if not all the different kinds of sleeves, haha.

8. Musethalia macrumors newbie

It's true Incase Bleeds onto macbooks

I bought my sister a macbook for college in Dec. She purchase the burgandy incase - and even though it had never gotten wet - the sides of her white macbook are now red. Tried a few things to get it off of there - nothing has worked yet.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I have the Incase black sleeve with the lime green interior for my iBook, and I've had no problems. No dye rubbing off on it at all. I would use that one. I believe the iBooks and the MacBooks use the same polycarbonate outer shell.

10. bluush macrumors 6502

Yeah. When the Apple store employee tried to sell me the burgundy case for my white Macbook I explained the "staining" issue people were having. He seemed absolutely oblivious to this. It kills me that Apple stores parade those burgundy and black cases around with such prominence. So many people are unknowingly permanently staining their beloved laptop. It's unacceptable for Apple to pretend this isn't an issue when just about every review for this particular laptop case mentions the staining problem.