Burn a .m4v ?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ViennaXP, Oct 18, 2012.

1. ViennaXP macrumors newbie

Hello,
    Finally I got my hands on 2 versions of a skinny programm ,which removes the DRM from my tv shows I bought on iTunes, without encoding or rerecording, so without any quality loss.
    But now I want to burn some episodes on a DVD to watch the on my TV, and this just doesn't work. Because no programm seems to support this format .m4v and I don't want to convert it, I tried it with "burn" , it converted it into mpeg and from what I have seen this is a (massive) quality loss.
    Doesn't anyone have a good idea?
    Because ,well, I want to watch my shows in HD , like I watched them on my Mac (or PC) ,where I downloaded them.... And not in "A bit more than SD"-quality.

2. kevrei macrumors newbie

Burn.m4v

My advice is to save yourself a lot of fussing around and drop $99 on an AppleTV. There are any number of free or nearly free video conversion software solutions, several of which will convert expressly for ATV, even saving the file to iTunes. That is unless you happen to like all that fussing around....

3. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

1, as recommended, get an ATV for hardware m4v playback (unless you need extras like VobSub subtitle support). Then, you can safely forget any kind of (sometimes very lengthy) conversion, except for (possible) subtitle OCR'ing and the like.

2, if you go the ATV way, you might want to take a closer look at my articles I've posted to the ATV forum here. I've posted TONS of articles on remuxing, BD / DVD ripping etc.

4. ViennaXP thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I don't want to buy a Apple TV only for watching my .m4v's but I will have a look.
    Actually after I posted this, I extracted the streams (3 ones) out of a m4v all in mp4 format and put them together to a mp4 (only to realise I can't burn mp4's too :p). Now looking for a way to put them together into a mpeg :rolleyes:
    I will browse apple.de for some info for the ATV

5. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

If you really want to convert H.264 to MPEG-2, just use iDVD (if you (still) have it) - just drag the video files on its window and it'll do its magic.

If you don't have it any more, let me know.