Burn application help... never seen this happen before

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ironfrost, Feb 7, 2009.

1. ironfrost macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I am having trouble burning movies on my mac using Burn application.

The file is in AVI... however when it converts to mpg...

... the file then changes into .iso (which should be as a dmg)... and i see the folder containing the video as .VOB...

Can anyone please help me figure out why this is happening?

Before i used to burn movies onto DVD discs... it would simply convert from AVI into MPG and then that was it...

the file completed successfully... but now i get the .VOB extension... and a separate Audio and Video folder...

What is happening.... ???

I'm using Leopard version 10.5.6... would this be because i have deleted something accidently. I previously inserted a dvd that was made from a windows machine using the file Nero.. but i doubt that would have corrupted the files on my mac...

Please help urgently.

Thanks

2. Hestian macrumors newbie

Just used Burn to copy a number of AVI formatted movies---and it worked great. Make sure Burn in is on Video the drop down is set for Divx---I had a similar problem when I first migrated from PC to Mac--Played around a lot found that I had changed this setting--Must be on Divx.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The file structure with Audio_TS and Video_TS folders and .VOB files is the standard structure for Video DVDs. I don't know if you have a special player with additional features, but generally it's required that the DVD be in this format to be playable on a DVD player. Neither VCDs nor SVCDs use .MPG files on the disc either.

So can you please be clear about what's wrong with what's happening? It seems to be the normal result you should be getting.

4. ironfrost thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah i have selected the Video drop down list... but ive always selected DVD not Divx.... and it worked normally fine... now what it does is when it is authorizing the mpg change before it writes... it makes an .iso image.. and the the regular .dmg image....

5. ironfrost thread starter macrumors newbie

ahhh thanks for the reply peoples... i dont want to be rude by not thanking people by reading my query... however with the burn app its the regular burn you download for the mac... no special player...

but when i have inserted the DVD that i finished burning.. it usually plays automatically.. thats when i realized that it burned differently... because it didn't play automatically...

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That's my point... the purpose of the DVD setting on Burn is to create a disc that will play in a standard DVD player (like the one that is presumably hooked up to your television, if you have a television). Such a disc also plays in DVD Player on the Mac, but the point is to create a standard video DVD, which is supposed to have the filestructure you described.

What happens when you put the disc you made in a standard DVD player? If it plays in the standalone DVD player, the problem may not be that you are burning a different disc format than you were before, but that the setting on your Mac of what to do when you insert a video DVD has changed (this setting is in System Preferences).