Burn AVI to DVD: Audio Not Working

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Lord_Bremen, May 2, 2013.

1. Lord_Bremen macrumors newbie

I'm trying to burn a .avi movie to a DVD. However, I can't get the audio to work.

First, I imported it into Toast (10) and converted it to DVD. I made an image of the DVD, which played fine (with sound). However, when I burned the image the audio had disappeared.

Then, I tried using Compressor (4) to convert the movie to DVD format (mpeg and ac3). However, the resulting audio file was empty: when I created a DVD image there was no audio, and when I tried playing the ac3 file in vlc it was blank.

I assume the issue is because it's an audio file that Quicktime doesn't like (the original movie doesn't play in Quicktime). But I've got Perian installed, so I'm not sure what other codec I might need. Any ideas how to convert the audio to something Quicktime can deal with?

2. simsaladimbamba

How to burn a video DVD in Burn:
    example below uses an .avi file, but it can also be applied to an .mp4 or .mov file

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In order to find out, what may be wrong with your audio, you can use the following three applications to analyse a sample video file.
    When done, you can use the "Report" (VideoSpec) and "Export" (Media Inspector) button to export a report,
    attachable to your next post via the [​IMG] button.
    In MediaInfo you have to go to the Menu Bar, select View > Text and copy the text via CMD+A > CMD+C and paste it via CMD+V into your next post.

3. Lord_Bremen thread starter macrumors newbie

Nothing is wrong with the audio, it's just in a format that Quicktime can't understand (and because Toast/etc. use Quicktime codecs to encode DVD audio, my burned DVDs don't work). So I need to convert the audio into something that Quicktime can deal with. I thought Compressor might be able to do this, but it didn't work.

I've attached the results from VideoSpec and compatibility check:
    *** First Audio Track Parameters ***
    - Format: AC3-A52
    - Bitrate: 192 Kbps
    - Resolution: 16 bits
    - Rate: 48.0 KHz
    - Channel(s): 2 (stereo)
    - Position: Front: L R

Attached Files: