Burn CD that can be read on a pc

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by alainr, Oct 19, 2008.

1. alainr macrumors regular

i burned a photo cd and checked it to be sure that the photos were on it.

i gave it to someone who cld not open it on her PC.

is there a way to burn cds that are readable by both pc and macs? does it matter if you burn using finder vs elements?

thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If the files are .jpg or .bmp or any other image format that Windows can read, there shouldn't be a problem.

3. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

I believe .png format is the best for cross-platform compatibility, otherwise .jpg.

4. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

you have to make sure the file extensions are visible in the file name itself......ie "housepics.jpg", not just in the "get info/properties" panel, otherwise windblows wont know what app to open them with......also don't use any funky characters like slashes, dashes, underscores etc in the file names.....this causes windblows to go apesh*t too :p

Also the disc itself should be burned as an ISO9660 format to ensure cross-platform compatability......

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If your settings hide file extensions in Finder, it doesn't mean they're not on the file and visible to Windows. You do have to be careful of some special characters like slashes, but dashes and underscores are fine on Windows.

6. lukerees83 macrumors newbie

lukerees83

Can I Undo Once Punctuation is in Folders?

I burnt folders containing only jpegs with my Mac and put a slash in the folder names (e.g. "Folders/Activities" was one of them.)

Now my client can't open on PC and it says the folders are empty. How can he solve this and read them on a PC?

Many thanks.

7. OliverOSX93 macrumors regular

Please at least read the previous posts when you resurrect a long dead thread. If a file or folder has a / or \ in it, windows will have trouble.

I'm not aware of a way to make them read outside of a virtual machine (it would need to run a hackintosh distro)