Burn Damage - Covered?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eighteesix, Jan 28, 2013.

1. eighteesix macrumors newbie

Hello--

A few months after getting my Macbook Pro, this damage happened. Is this normal? What causes it? Is it covered under Applecare?

[​IMG]

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

If the burn was caused by something internal, I would think so. And if it was, I'd bring it in to be looked at because it shouldn't do that and there is probably some damage inside.

3. simsaladimbamba

It is an odd position though, it is where the RAM is and not near the CPU, as the CPU is normally hotter than the RAM.

4. ybz90 macrumors 6502a

ybz90

Important question -- how did it happen? Apple will never cover accidental damage officially, but there's a chance you get a nice rep.

5. eighteesix thread starter macrumors newbie

The damage was absolutely not caused by anything I accidentally did. I found the markings there. Outside of the case is fine, other than the markings.

6. ajanini macrumors member

ajanini

Are you sure that's burn damage?
    It looks like it could be wear on the aluminium, as if you used your Mac on an uneven surface and kept it balanced/supported at that region. Could this be at all? Can't really tell by the picture.

7. eighteesix thread starter macrumors newbie

definitely not. i dont use it on unbalanced surfaces. only on a bed or table.

8. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

I'd take it in before any more damage (if any) happens, worst that could happen is its not covered. Be sure to back up first.

9. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

I would definitely take it in, especially if you're still under AppleCare. As the previous poster said, the worst that could happen is they won't fix/replace the casing there. It wouldn't hurt to get it inspected.

Although, I'd have to say, I haven't seen or heard about this particular issue much (or if, at all), so I'd say there's a high chance that it is some kind of defect that could probably get fixed for free under AppleCare.

In my opinion, that does look like something "irritated" it from friction. The markings just look way to concentrated.

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'm going to agree with a couple of the other posters. That doesn't look like burn damage. Do you have a straight edge? Check to see if the bottom case bows out. It would also be possible that the hard surface you use it on curves upwards slightly or has some debris on it that was enough to scuff the aluminum.

11. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Looks like a scuff to me too. It doesn't line up with anything hot in the area.

12. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Also, if anything was getting hot enough to leave a burn mark like that on aluminum, you'd be having other problems.

13. Mrbobb macrumors 601