Burn .dmg over two DVDs?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by asherman13, Jun 24, 2007.

1. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Hey everybody,

I have a 7GB installation disc image that I need to burn to DVD. Unfortunately, my MBP's SuperDrive only burns single-layer DVDs. Is it possible for me to burn the .dmg over two single-layer DVDs, much like a long playlist in iTunes can be burned over two CDs?

If so, how would I do this?

Thanks!

2. Gav macrumors regular

I presume you're trying to install a Leaked Leopard beta?

You can use an external hard drive. Use the disk utility to 'restore' the DMG onto an external hard drive. Then in Startup Drive (or is it disk?) select the external one.

Ta dah!

3. asherman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Will "restoring" the .dmg to the external drive wipe out everything I have on that external drive?

Also, the drive is formatted as FAT32. Is that a problem?

4. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

fat32 is an issue I believe, cause you use files larger than 2gb or something close. but the restore can take place without data loss, or I'm under that impression

5. asherman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

asherman13

So, what should I do to fix that problem?

6. Project macrumors 68020

7. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

not very nice, of you. It doesn't matter what he/she is doing. Thats none of your business.

on your main partition you may try a non destructive partitioner, say the bootcamp one or, getting into the terminal and using diskutil google it or read the manual by typing man diskutil . If any of the terminal business confused or scarred you I wouldn't go that route.

Yes, I'm pretty sure. Intel macs can do usb, well with rEFIt I can, don't know without any mods.

You may be able to nuke an old ipod and boot off it.

8. asherman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Sounds like a lot of work. Would I be able to install it somehow using Target Disk Mode or something like that through another Mac, say an iBook?

9. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

Yes, that's what I used to do with my ADC Seeds. I would have recommended that, but didn't know you had other computers you were willing to use.

10. asherman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Guess I should've mentioned that. Can you give me a step-by-step process of doing this?

Hopefully I won't have to delete/erase anything on the other computer...

11. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

well without a non destructive partitioner you're gona loose some data, but you do have backups don't you?

Anyways you'd plug a firewire cable from the two computers, the one that would act as the disk you'd restart and hold down "t" (if that doesn't work try "f") and you'll get a giant firewire logo on a grey background. Then it would mount on the other computer as an external drive. Open up diskutil and restore the image onto it, selecting the erase and skip checksum, then go. then go into the startup disk in the preference pane and select the drive and restart.

ohh that way will delete data.

If you had a non destructive partitioner you could just do this to an internal drive on the main machine.

a non destructive partitioner is ipartition costs 30$ us, there might be a few free ones but the only one I use is the terminal one so i cant make recommendations.

12. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

Does that mean it will be installed and run from the external ?

13. asherman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Is there a way to do this using Boot Camp?

EDIT What about the original method of burning it over two DVDs?

14. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

superduper to a usb hard drive for those who do not have a DL DVD

15. asherman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Can you go into a bit of detail here?

16. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

no

to the edit, no I don't think this is possible, If you splice it you'll ruin the disk and it won't boot.

just get an external drive or a dual layer burner, it's worth your time. Trust me I do this a lot after I wreck my seed and need to reinstall.

17. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

mount your image - plug in usb hdd , open superduper backup and make bootable option to hdd from your mounted image

reboot hold down option screen - install or whatever you need it for

Attached Files:

18. asherman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Using Boot Camp?

What if I make a Boot Camp partition, restore the .dmg onto that partition using Disk Utility, and then restart my computer, hold option, and choose to boot from that partition? Then, I would install onto the other partition, and then when everything is installed, go back into Boot Camp and remove the installation partition?

Any problems there?

19. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

That should work. In the past though I've had problems after reformatting and reverting back to one disk many times. Eventually the BC Assistant will not be able to partition without doing a format and install of the whole hard drive.

My incident might be unique though.

jon

20. asherman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Thanks everybody! I think I'm going to go with using Disk Utility to restore the .dmg onto an external HDD, and then booting up from there as the startup disk. :)

I'll post my results when I've got 'em.

EDIT Question... the external HDD isn't showing up on the startup disk menu. I haven't restored the .dmg yet; is that the problem?

EDITx2 Or could it be the fact that my external HDD is USB and not Firewire?

21. iHerzeleid macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

Just partition you external into two partitions. One to hold your image of the dmg and one to install it on. when you boot from the restored partition, install it to the other partition and then just delete the .dmg partition when you are done installing.

22. asherman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Yes, but I want to install the image onto my MBP.