burn DVD for PC

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ajohansson, Jan 23, 2012.

1. ajohansson macrumors regular

I have done lots of searches and well I'm thoroughly confused.

Heres the deal. I have a DVD with maps for my GPS unit. Its for PC. I want to make a copy that can boot from my friends PC. I tried disk utility and it made an image on my Mac. I then select this image and burned to the DVD. When I put the DVD in the PC it does not read it. WHen I put it in my mac it reads it fine. The image is .CDR master-DVD and when I "get info" from the Disk it say its MAC OS Extended. From all the reading I have done on the net when i burn this disk it should be fine since its .CDR but I have done 2 now and no joy. What am I missing. I am using a 2011 MBP.

Any help on this appreciated. Thanks.

AJ

2. ajohansson thread starter macrumors regular

Trying now. Thank you. But should disk utility be able to do this? or not?

AJ

3. ajohansson thread starter macrumors regular

Burn says my file is too big. The file is 3.9 Gigs and it has mac of 2 GB. Am I doing something wrong?

4. ajohansson thread starter macrumors regular

Got this off of here..https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2759744?start=0&tstart=0

Unfortunately Im out of DVDs to check but I think this will work...

Clicking on the 'New Image' icon in the Disk Utility window gives you a limited set of options for creating a disk image of a CD or DVD, none of which will duplicate the ISO 9660 (Windows) half of a hybrid Mac/PC disk. It is possible to do what you want with Disk Utility, but the process of creating the disk image is somewhat different from the one you've been following.

Here's how to do it:

With Disk Utility running insert the CD or DVD disc you want to copy in your optical drive, and select it in Disk Utility's list of disks and volumes on the left side of the Disk Utility window.

Ignore the 'New Image' icon in the Disk Utility window and instead go to the menu bar at the top of your screen and select 'File > New > "Disk Image from 'name of disc'."

Type a name for the disk image.

Choose "read only" from the Image Format pop-up menu.

Click Save.

After Disk Utility creates the disk image, eject the original CD or DVD.

Select the disk image in the list of disks and volumes on the left side of the Disk Utility window, and choose 'Images > Burn…' from the menu bar at the top of the screen.

When the Burn Disc dialogue appears, insert a blank CD or DVD, and then click Burn.

That should create a byte for byte copy of a Mac OS (Extended)/ISO 9660 CD or DVD that will work in both a Mac and a PC.