Burn DVD to play on PS3

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jealous17, Jul 20, 2009.

1. jealous17 macrumors newbie

Hey, I'm fairly new to mac, and needed to know how to do something with my particular arrangement.
    I did some searching on these forums, and found some useful info, but need more info.

My configuration is i have a new Imac, and I have alot of movies in avi. format that I want to burn on a DVD and be able to play on my PS3 as that is all I use to watch movies. And I doubt that I can just burn that avi to a DVD and boom it works. So I need to know what I need to convert them to, and what is the best program to convert them (doesn't have to be free software either, just the best because it will be watched on a 61" tv, so I need quality to be awesome cause otherwise it will stretch and distort).
    And how to burn them with what program for them to work on my PS3.
    Thanks for any help.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I usually use Toast, it costs money but is well worth it IMO. I use the "DVD Video" option and it plays perfectly on my PS3.

3. jealous17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply.
    I will try that method.

--But I would also like to hear what other people use too. thanks.

4. dino12 macrumors member

Popcorn 3 is a good program, but it cost $$ also

5. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

and also by the same people that make Toast

6. ez4u2sa67 macrumors member

ez4u2sa67

7. gednow macrumors newbie

You need Handbrake.

This has a specific PS3 or XBOX 360 conversion panel where everything is done for you. Then burn using Toast!

8. Makosuke macrumors 603

This is what gednow is getting at, but for reference the PS3 will play AVIs if they use supported codecs for audio and video. If you've got a USB thumb drive (or even an SD card you can copy data to) it's easy enough to test--just copy the files, plug it into the PS3, and either play them directly or copy them to the internal drive and see if they'll play.

It doesn't support MKV (the format of choice for fansubs) so I've only used it a couple of times, but it does work, and depending on what the source of your AVIs is they may well work as-is with no time-consuming and quality-reducing transcoding necessary. At the very least it's worth trying before you go getting a workflow set up.

Of course, my PS3 makes so darned much noise there's zero incentive to use it instead of a home theater Mac mini for playing media files anyway. Depending on how close your Mac is to the TV might be worth just playing directly to it.