burn dvds that i own

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by medicscott, May 1, 2010.

1. medicscott macrumors 6502a

medicscott

ofcourse ...as a backup for the dvds i already own. just gotta new unibody macbook, can i rip dvds onto it, and then burn them onto a blank dvd? thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes. I suggest you to get an external HD instead of burning them again, just rip them to the ext HD and if you need it, burn it when needed

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You will get a lot of suggestions, but Mac DVD Ripper Pro will rip and burn
    I have found it to be well worth the small price

4. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Use HandBrake (free) to rip your DVD to any quality and size you like. You will also be required to download VLC, but I've uninstalled VLC after installing Handbrake without a hitch.

Then, use your included Disk Utility to burn the image of your DVD to a new DVD.

Open Disk Utility. It's in you Applications>Utilities. Insert a DVD. Now select the DVD in the white list, it should be something like "HL-DT-ST DVDRW GS23N." Click the yellow and black "burn" icon.

A Finder window will appear. Find the image of the DVD you ripped. Select it and press Return. Choose your burn options in the next window and you're off! Just tell it to Eject disc when burning is complete, not mount to desktop*

5. medicscott thread starter macrumors 6502a

medicscott

where is the option in handbrake to make it an image? all i know is howto make into iphone, ipad files....

6. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I'm an idiot, I'm sorry. *retrieves the idiot-stick*

Handbrake will rip your DVD's to a video-format file so you can play it on your computer and iPod or what-have-you. There's even an option to rip to iPod size and quality to save space :D

Anyway, to make an image of your DVD, use Disk Utility. Insert your movie DVD and click it when it appears in the list in Disk Utility. Click New Image. Choose a place to store it and leave the two options at the bottom alone. Click save and in about twenty-minutes (depending on DVD drive speed and DVD movie length) you will have an image of the DVD on your computer.

In Disk Utility, drag the image that you created into the bottom portion of the white list. Use the Restore function as I described. :D

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You have to use Disk Utility to make a disk image of it, HandBrake can't do it AFAIK. Just open Disk Utility and select new disk image and then add the movie there, I think (anyone can confirm?)

EDIT: Never mind, MrCheeto already gave you what you need

8. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

I have a great setup when it comes to backing up my dvd's. I use rip it. I think it cost me maybe $20 or it came in one of those software bundles for $50. This is a great program because its failure rate for dvd's is like .5%

It will make file that will play the movie. Now if you want to burn the dvd you have to remaster it. So i used dvd remaster to remaster it then i use toast titanium to burn.

Sounds complicated but its not. Very easy. I store all of my movies on an external hard drive for storage.

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg