Burn DVDs?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ramparts, Aug 24, 2008.

1. ramparts macrumors regular

Is there an easy way to burn DVDs on Mac using either included software or free software? (Or for me specifically, Toast Titanium 9 too) iDVD is clunky like no other and Toast is taking hours to convert a standard-length h.264 movie before even burning it.

I just want a way to convert movies to the right format (VOB?) and burn away... well, I really just want a way to watch my movies on my TV without waiting hours, but, you know :) Thanks!

2. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

DVD-Video's burn in Toast will not play on many DVD players (the only DVD I have that they will play on is my Philips upconverting DVD player). What I do is first convert a movie to DVD with VisualHub then burn the Video_TS file in Toast, works like a charm and the quality is MUCH better than if you burn a DVD-Video. I know you asked about free software but I don't believe there is any (that I know of anyway) but you were able to afford Toast so $20 for VisualHub shouldn't be much :p

3. bootedbear macrumors 6502

bootedbear

I use one of iDVD or Toast, so I'm not going to be much help since you've already dismissed those as solutions. But regardless of what you use, to burn a DVD, the video must be converted to MPEG2 VOB format and that takes time.

Perhaps you'd want to investigate a means other than DVD if all that is too much time for you. Perhaps an AppleTV?