Burn In Testing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tech324, Apr 28, 2015.

1. tech324 macrumors 6502

Anyone recommend good software to do a burn in on a new MBP? I want something that I can run for 24 hours or more to test stability.

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Just do normal stuff with it for 10 days then make a return decision. You won't get any better test. If you want to be really keen then make sure you use all the ports but "burn in" testing isn't necessary...you end up convinced the battery life is poor, fans run all the time, CPU is busy and causing lag...

Just run it normally IMHO.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

4. tech324 thread starter macrumors 6502

From what I read the Apple diagnostics only runs for a few minutes. Did I miss something? How would I run it overnight?

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Why??

Just use it normally for a week or so and if there are any problems they'll show up.

If it's fine then running it for 24 hours will prove nothing, and if there is a problem it'll show up without stress testing..

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think the days of letting a computer run an app for 24 or 48 hours to "burn it in" are long gone. Apple does its own burn in, and the best way to find any short comings is to use it as you normally would - just my $.02

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

I personally think you're wasting your time. If any problems arise, they'll show up with normal use. If they do crop up, you have a warranty, I advise you to use it, it's the reason it exists.

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

You are definitely wasting your time doing this. Apple already does their own burn-in at the factory. You don't need to repeat the cycle.

Also bear in mind that if you do any "burn-in" testing that involves storage writes, you are absolutely doing more harm than good by intentionally shortening the lifespan of your SSD.

9. 0x100 macrumors regular

0x100

Run everything at 100% for a week. If it survives that it will hold up more more than 3 years. If anything dies it is a defective part.