Burn iTunes Movies to DVD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gazfocus, Mar 31, 2009.

1. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Is there a way to burn movies purchased on iTunes to a DVD in Leopard?

2. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

3. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

hmm...I'm looking to burn them so I can watch them on my DVD player. Does anyone know of any Mac software that will remove the DRM? I've seen a few apps that will do this from MP3's by burning a virtual CD and ripping it back to iTunes, etc.

4. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

There are less than legal ways of doing this, but none that are 100 percent legit. This is the biggest drawback of iTunes movies, and I guarantee you the movie companies won't cave on this like the music industry did.

5. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

To be honest, I don't see how any way can be less than legal considering you pay almost as much for the download as a DVD would cost (sometimes the same price) and in paying for it, I own it so why should I be restricted to Apple only software/hardware to play it?

If I can't get them onto DVD, I won't be buying them in future.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

You definitely won't get them onto DVD. This is why I don't buy iTunes movies. Plus the DVD usually has captions/subtitles and iTunes movies don't.

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I consider it less than legal, not illegal. I totally agree with you, but bootleg movies would be even more rampant if it was as easy as CDs. I already know too many people that don't see a problem in just burning a copy of a movie on a PC and then giving it to a friend.

I still probably wouldn't buy the movies that way. Video quality is a lot easier to see the loss in than audio quality, and Blu-ray movies aren't really that much more than an HD download. The SD downloads are in the same boat, and you don't get any special features. Blu-ray has BD Live stuff, which I haven't even touched yet, while downloads have...the movie. I basically see these downloads as a good way to rent movies, but a very crappy way to own them.

8. Resist macrumors 68030

You only own the format and media that it was purchased in, so if you put it to DVD then that part you do not own.

9. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

Lifehacker just did a post on this yesterday I believe... there is a software out there called TuneBite that will "remove the DRM" from your movies so that you can burn them to DVD. However I think it accomplishes this by transcoding the video, so you probably lose some quality.

10. NightStorm macrumors 68000

Yuck, two transcodes (DRM MP4 -> MP4 -> MPEG2).

11. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Get Requiem remove DRM then burn to DVD, IDK if it will play on your DVD player though unless you reencode which would be yuck:(

12. NQK macrumors member

NQK

it works

I downloaded this and burned a dvd and it worked just fine in my dvd player.
    But it doubled the size of the file so I can only get 1 hours worth of content on a dvd, instead of 2 hours worth. Anyone know how to fix that?