burn mkv to blu ray disc

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by burner72450, Mar 2, 2010.

1. burner72450 macrumors newbie

so i use Roxio's "Toast" software with the latest Blu Ray plug in installed, using my new LG Blu Ray writer, and my new 25gb Verbatim Blu Ray discs.

every time i try to put the mkv file into toast, it says the mkv is unsupported. i tried this with 720p, & 1080p. i am very new to burning blu ray, but not a stranger at all to burning dvds. im sure there is a difference in burning the 2, but can someone please help me by explaining what i might be doing wrong, or what i need to do. i haven't tried a .m2ts yet.

i am using a trial period of MakeMKV at the moment, i am ripping a blu ray i own to see if it works on ripping, then i will try on an existing mkv file i have.

if anyone can help me in getting mkv or m2ts files burned to blu ray discs that would be great, and much appreciated!!

i managed to burn a few episodes of Planet Earth in 1080p (1-6) on 1 25gb blu ray disc as data, but cannot get them to play in my blu ray player or ps3.this is the main reason i want to burn them. i am wanting to back up movies so i can watch them on my blu ray player.

i have searched high & low for a solid ripper/convertor/ or anything, but it seems like everyone has a different opinion on whats best. i am all ears to everyones opinions. i would really like to figure this out "how to burn anything to blu ray to watch on my player".

thank you guys!!!!!!

2. burner72450 thread starter macrumors newbie

yea for sure, Xilisoft is amazing software, but it looks like the Blu Ray link you gave me is for Windows. i am looking into installing Windows on my , but i not sure how it will run. i have never messed with it. how do you use Xilisoft Blu Ray on your Mac? i am also trying to get a ripper that will extract the .m2ts files/folder from the blu ray.

3. burner72450 thread starter macrumors newbie

i used MakeMKV earlier, and created a MKV of an existing Blu Ray i owned no problem, but when i tried to put into Toast it acted like it would burn it, i inserted the blank Blu ray disc, hit burn, it started to write then bam, error!

so i am thinking about just installing Win 7 on my Mac, but where an i get a copy of the win 7 OS? i think i can manage to install it.

i need a Windows 7 install disc, where do i look?

also on the bootcamp on how you decide how much space to give Windows, how do you know how much to give?

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

support for this is very limited as you know! so getting results is going to be SUPER HARD. :(

have you tried converting the mkv into something other then mt2s? maybe a .mov or something similar?

until the proper support comes out, you will probably have to convert (using handbrake or similar) into .m4v (etc) then burn to BD using toast. slight loss of quality but at least it would work.