Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stinarr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
I am a new imac user and have been using the 'burn' (that's the actual name) program for months without fault. All of a sudden i was unable to burn DVDs. the process would work as normal until the very end when the disc was ejected and the program would say burn failed because of the disc drive (or something like that). I've tried re-installing the program but the same thing happens except now it just says unable to burn and cannot retry. I've tried Resetting PRAM and NVRAM and doing the hardware test (which found nothing wrong) and nothing has worked. I really would like to keep using 'burn' because its so quick and easy but if there is anything out there similar or better (but still free) let me know! Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED :)
-it actually says "The device failed to respond properly, unable to recover or retry."

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
You could try it under another user account, which you might have to create.

If it works there, you might use a software called AppZapper, which deletes all accompanying files in the library and then reinstall Burn again.

acxz

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2007

If it works there, you might use a software called AppZapper, which deletes all accompanying files in the library and then reinstall Burn again.

Or use AppCleaner, which works exactly the same but is free and doesn't come with a pointless sound effect.

stinarr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009

yeah i tried this with no luck. I really cant figure out what the problem is and i would appreciate anything you could give me. it's just so disappointing because burn is really a great program. any luck with you Spunky424?

Spunky424

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2009
still no luck. i was able to burn a dvd through burn that was under 2gbs. i think it came in at around 1.8. but anything over 2gbs seems to not be able to work with burn. i just actually used idvd but that took over 5 hours and the audio wasnt even synced. horrible waste of time. hopefully we can get this issue resolved.

stinarr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
yeah i agree it sucks. Such a waste of dvd's to burn under 2 gb?! i tried toast as well but it took so long i just cancelled it.

anyone out there please- any suggestion is welcome!

Spunky424

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2009
yeah i agree it sucks. Such a waste of dvd's to burn under 2 gb?! i tried toast as well but it took so long i just cancelled it.

anyone out there please- any suggestion is welcome!

i just downloaded toast, it does take a lot longer than burn but it does work. i've already burned 4-5 dvds from avis and it works perfectly. give it a shot.

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2005
Download Disco (google "disco os x") and give that a try, there might be a problem with Burn. I agree with acxz, you might want to completely remove burn before you reinstall it.

stinarr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
hey, sorry i know my questions must be child's play to you all but i'm trying to uninstall burn as suggested by acxz using AppCleaner but it says it's protected- can anyone tell me how to unprotect it? thanks

bindigok

macrumors regular
May 14, 2007
Just curious what you are burning onto the DVDs. Why not use Leopard to burn DVDs? Or are you burning movies (insert copyright protection blah blah blah, you know "legal" movies)? I've always used Popcorn to copy my DVDs after I've created them.

stinarr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
yeah no i'm burning movies- divx and dvd. it just sucks because burn was absolutely perfect for me after searching for the right software for so long. btw still not able to unprotect it on appcleaner- anyone know?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.