burn the InstallESD.dmg for bootable DVD?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by klmaj, Jul 25, 2012.

1. klmaj macrumors member

Hello all, I'm downloading a 4.34Gb file right now. I bought a macbook pro yesterday and so I'm getting the free upgrade.

I suspect this is a full working InstallESD.dmg that may be bootable if I rip to DVD ( I don't have any 8 gig USB sticks to hand). I'm wanting to install this on a fresh blank SSD I just bought.

Question is, do you think its doable or do I need to have 10.7.4 already installed on the SSD before hand? I don't have an enclosure for the SSD so the only means for me to install an OS on the SSD is from the DVD drive of the macbook pro. Kind regards!

2. philip in al macrumors regular

Don't use a DVD. Use a flash drive with 8Gb. Search google. There are plenty of articles out there and they will explain how that you can do this using the disk utility included on your Mac.

3. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Just as a heads up: There is a nearly identical thread about 10 posts below in the ML section of the Forums found here.

To take full advantage of the community try the search function at the top right hand corner of your screen in order to get the best information and help prevent excessive duplicate posts.

You can use a DVD, however I discourage it and have seen mixed results with some people unable to get it to work. Your best bet is a cheap 8GB flash drive. Take a look at that link and you may be able to find more information.

4. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

5. dimi94941 macrumors regular

Why do I need a dual-layer DVD if that DMG file is only 4.3 GB?

And it didn't work btw, it didn't want to show up on "bootable disks".

6. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

The DMG is a compressed bundle using BZIP2. To burn, the data it has to be decompressed making it much larger.

7. adztaylor macrumors 68000

I have burned it to a dual layer DVD and installation worked flawlessly albeit a tad on the slow side! :)

8. v0dka macrumors newbie

Maybe this is a dump question but with this Internet Recovery Option do I install again 10.7.4 or do I already get 10.8? As otherwise I have to drive to the city and get a bigger USB stick.

9. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

You log in with your Apple ID. If you have purchased ML then you can download ML. If not you download Lion.

10. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Some versions on the internet are bzip2 compressed disk images. The original from the MAS uses zlib deflate-compression.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=15068980#post15068980