Burn to DVD or keep on harddrive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Raunien, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Raunien macrumors 6502

I have a lot of visual media on my external harddrive (about 2TB worth) and they're mostly in m4v format. My goal is to keep them viable (playable) for as long as possible while viewing them from time to time.

So my question is should I burn them to DVDs (single or dual layer) or keep them on my external harddrive as is.

My main worry is playing movies off a harddrive will shorten its lifespan

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

http://go.iomega.com/en-us/products/multimedia-drive/screenplay-multimedia-drives/screenplay-mx2/?partner=4760

i use one of these for playing my m4v, avi, etc.. has a 1TB hard drive in it, than less wear on your backup drive

3. simsaladimbamba

To burn 2 TB of data onto SL-DVDs would amount to 475 DVDs at least, if you use DL-DVD you would only need 250 or so.
    Wouldn't it be much cheaper to get another external HDD and use that as backup (which incidentally would also take a bit less than burning DVDs*)?

* which would take around 2.3 days at constant write speeds of 8x, while copying 2 TB over USB 2.0 would take less than 20 hours

4. Raunien thread starter macrumors 6502

So what's the consensus? Keep the videos on an external?

5. simsaladimbamba

From the two posts you got, it seems to be that way. One post recommended getting a media playback HDD, another post recommended getting a backup.
    Maybe consolidate those two recommendations into one, and get a 2 TB media playback HDD, if you need such device.
    If you really fear about wearing out your HDD and losing your files, back them up. As one poster pointed out, an extra HDD would be cheaper and less time consuming.

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

look into the media players with the built in hard drives they are not much more than a hard drive of equal size and you just plug them into your tv and watch away

7. Raunien thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys! Knew I could count on you. Appreciate the responses :D